Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Planning for my "Grown Up" Little Girl

Amabel will be five this weekend. Five. Halfway to ten. So she is taking ballet this week. She is in a little class where she is, of course, a head taller than everyone else, but probably a good year older than everyone else too. It is for three to five year olds and they learn ballet, tap, and tumbling. It is cute. There really isn't much cuter than eight three to five year olds in pink leotards and ballet slippers. It is funny too. The teacher is really laid back and much better with that many little children than I ever would be. The tapping part is probably where I would lose it. Give a little girl shoes that click on hardwood floors and turn on the Wiggles and you are just asking for the giggles. She seems to be pretty tollerant and also pretty undemanding as far as accuracy goes. But yet they are learning something. And it is fun to see them so proud of themselves. She is mailing all of us the information on classes for the fall.

I have decided that school for the fall for Amabel would be a little too much after our summer of perpetual unrest and with the new baby on its way right when school starts. I also think little August's heart might break if he were to be both dethroned as the baby and separated from his big sis five mornings a week. Either thing would probably be pretty rough, and as the whole "dethroning" thing is inevitable, we will try to preserve some sort of normalcy for him by keeping his sister at home (though, at this point, we are still essentially homeless- but with hopefulness at least, or should I say at last?). I hope he will not give up his nap, though he seems to be working to that end this week, so his naptime can be used for Amabel's homeschooling. We are about halfway through with K5 right now, so I have a year to do half a school year's work. I have done the legwork and worked out a lot of the kinks in the past year, plus I am dealing with a much more "mature" child than a year ago. All that said, I think I can get her ready for first grade by next fall. When I bought the curriculum way back last summer before I knew that I make the worst homeschool teacher in the world, I got first grade too, so we may just merge it all together over the next two years and see if we can't be ready for school in time for second grade. By then, we won't be dealing with George's school anymore (I hope). Of course, by then, we will probably be talking about or expecting a fourth child. But you never know, this baby is heavy and really wearing me out at only 32 weeks. I can certainly feel that I have been cut open twice before now. I don't know that my thrice severed abdomen will be able to contain or support another. Then again, I am constantly astounded at what I can endure.

Anyway, new baby, homeschooling, new somewhere to live, dare I take on ballet lessons? We shall see. So much these days falls into that category- the we shall see category. I actually have no idea where I will be on Sunday. Will we have moved into a new apartment? Will the people who are renting us their apartment right now give us another week to stay? Will we have to drive down to Nashville to stay with my parents? And if we do go to Nashville, how long will we stay? All of this is as easy for me to answer as it is for you or the guy at the gas station down the road. I have no idea. Consequently, for the first time in four years I may not be making a birthday cake or a birthday dress or throwing a little birthday party for friends in mid-July. I kept waiting to plan until I knew what the story was. Now I am still waiting. I am sure we can still make it a festive day- provided we are not spending that day driving in the car! It just seems like this was a big year, an occasion for a bigger than usual celebration. She's five.

7 comments:

lauren said...

awww...i bet she was a DARLING ballerina!

i think homeschooling makes sense for you this year. and ballet would be perfect for her to interact with kids her age!

don't worry about a party now, throw her one a little late when it's all settled down. (we're all praying that it does settle down soon for you all!) she won't refuse a party, even if it's a little late! we had ellie's a month late when liam was born. call me crazy, but i wasn't ready for a party at my house when liam was 5 weeks old!

mj said...

We did a tea party with all the girls in pretty Sunday dresses when Evangeline turned 5. It was fun and sweet. I did ballet lessons when she was 4 - 5 too. It wasn't so bad, and I had a newborn, too. And, I agree with lgd, you can do the party once you are settled, which I am sure will be soon!

Elizabeth said...

Last year(Caroline's fifth as well), when we were pretty new to Nashville and I was also pregnant, I didn't think I could muster the energy or will to put together a party, so we had Caroline pick one friend to go to Chuck-E-Cheese with(I know, not everyone's favorite, but my kids LOVE it, and the one in Cool Springs is tolerable), and ice cream afterwards at Maggie Moo's. The girls had a great time, and she definitely didn't miss the party, although this year she is looking forward to a pool party for her 6th.

Let me know if y'all come to Nashville

april said...

On my darling daughter's 5th the entire house was packed in boxes because we were to move to another state the next day. She had a big number five candle on a rice krispie treat. She remembers the best thing was to get to ride in the big moving truck...I can't remember what gifts we gave her and she can't either. Just saying that in eight years Amabelle won't care if she has a party or a visit to grandma's house.

Courtney said...

I can't wait to start Hannah in ballet classes! She already loves to dance. Just letting you know that you're in my prayers.... If you do come through Nashville, let me know b/c I would love to see you! It's been forever....

Courtney

april said...

Amabel, Amabel please forgive me! Now I'm one of those people that spells her name wrong. I knew it the second I pushed the publish button and then blogger went all weird and I couldn't come back and say...I didn't mean to put the extral L and E on there really! Uhg!

Abby said...

with a name like amabel, we never expect anyone to spell it right! we're just lucky when people recognize it's aMabel and not aNabel. this from a person whose whole life has had an extra e stuck in my name like i'm some kind of church or Beatles album!

Blog Archive