Friday, February 16, 2007

Hoping in Hollywood

I'm pretty ticked off. I spent hours last night typing out recipes. Where did they go? I don't know. I mean, I am sort of ticked at the lost computer documents fairy (you know, the ugly step sister of the lost sock in the dryer fairy), but I know it's partially my fault. Because we know that this happens sometimes. And to prevent it, all we have to do is click "save as draft" every now and then. And I thought of that. With only half a recipe left to type right before dinner, I thought maybe I should just click save as draft and finish when I came back. And then I thought those three fateful words "what's gonna happen?" It's a rhetorical question that really isn't so rhetorical. Because what's gonna happen is that you will have wasted precious time and energy typing recipe after recipe while your dear husband makes dinner. That's right. He made dinner. And now it's like he never did. Okay, I'm really not that dramatic y'all! But it's really annoying. And I don't feel like trying to type them all out again today. So this might not be much of a post.

I know I've mentioned reading Jane Austen to the girls when they are babies. But what about Aug? Aug stressed me out. He was not easy to deal with. So he was more of a watching a mini-series baby than reading a book baby. We watched two then that were new to me at the time, both done by the BBC. The first one was Wives and Daughters which George got for me without either of us having ever seen it because we trusted the BBC name. It was really good, and you are welcome to borrow it if you live in any of the three cities I roam to hither and yon or if you are related or practically related to me and live elsewhere. But it may be at your library. You should check it out. It is based on a novel that was actually never finished. The author, Elizabeth Gaskell (also responsible for North and South and Mary Barton I believe) , died before completing the end of the already 700 page book. It is after the same fashion as much of Austen's work though, a young girl coming of age in society and finding love, as a base reviewer might say. I mean, there's no way I'll ever read the book, but the mini-series is superb!

The other one we watched, we checked out from the library in pieces, and when George first brought it home I was not so very excited about it. It is called Horatio Hornblower and is about a young man in the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. So right, a little along the lines of Master and Commander, but this was before that came out, or right at the same time before I knew anything about it. And in spite of my skepticism Horatio was really good. I mean, it would be way too expensive to buy and the very last installment is not exactly how you want it to end and as a sort of tangent he enters a marriage that is less than wise or romantic (to the same actress who plays Lydia in Pride and Prejudice, actually). But the rest of the series can stand without the last one. They are based on individual novels, you see. Anyway, it is really good, way better than I would think. I always ask "is there a girl in it?" when George tries to get me interested in a movie. I know I will probably not be very interested if there's no girl. There is no girl in Horatio for the most part. But it is still excellent. It's BBC, what do you expect?

So the star of Horatio is Ioan Gruffudd (pronounced Ian Griffith, it's Welsh- those crazy Welsh!) and I have always thought it was too bad that he was not known by the whole world. He was Lancelot in Arthur which I was very excited about, hoping it would spring him to stardom. But Arthur was no good. Then, he was cast as Mr. Fantastic in The Fantastic Four which I thought would surely do the trick. But I still haven't heard much of him. The next Fantastic Four is coming out this summer so I thought that would help him. And all of the sudden, Amazing Grace. Still not that dramatic, y'all. I mean the movie, Amazing Grace. It is the story of William Wilberforce, the British politician who made it his life's mission to outlaw the slave trade in Great Britain. And our Horatio is the star. Our pastor had mentioned this on Sunday, but I didn't see a trailer until later this week and realized it was Ioan Gruffudd playing the lead. The writer of the hymn "Amazing Grace," John Newton (a slave trader who repented and became and Anglican clergyman), is played by Albert Finney. And Michael Gambon, "the Squire" from Wives and Daughters (if you've seen it), appears to have a somewhat significant role.

I never know how to handle these things. Of course, William Wilberforce made great strides for humanity and for the Church. Our pastor pointed out that slaves back then were as common as electricity, and freeing your slaves might seem a little like trying to go without electricity now (and we St. Louisians can attest to what a pain in the arse that is- did I really just put myself in a collective "we" with St. Louisians?! I did!). He fought a huge uphill battle for freedom and justice. I am sure that all of my information, my Hollywood and Wikipedia references, don't credit his devotion to God enough. That was probably his driving force, to do the right thing before the Lord. But is it okay that I am also excited about the movie because I really like Ioan Gruffudd and now maybe a whole lot more people will know who he is? And just maybe, there will be more credit to his Christian faith than usual in these types of movies and a whole lot more people will know who Christ is. But I think that is a little less likely. Anyway, I hope it will be a well done movie. It comes out next week.

1 comment:

april said...

We watched the Horatio Hornblower series several years ago, and loved it. Clay has read all the books, so he filled me in on his love life that wasn't very prevalent in the movie. Clay has been working his way through all the Patick O'Brian books too, I thought for awhile that he might just run off and join the Queen's Navy. But, now he's deep into Coleen McCullough's books about Rome....he love a good costume drama.

Blog Archive