Monday, February 12, 2007

Moving On Then

Wish the Babywise lady was real so she could come make some joyful little muffins out of my kids. I have left them upstairs and I don't care what happens.... No worries, my mom and husband are on duty. I think we need a nanny! But through it all, sweet little Elspeth is so darling. It really does raise the question, why is it so much easier to be patient with a baby? I guess it has to be God-given. I wish the rest of the world could get on baby time. I don't mind it. But the rest of the world, and the rest of my family is wanting to maintain their schedules. And I guess that's why people go for Babywise. They want to keep going and the baby just needs to adjust. The thing is, I have never been able to make them adjust anyway. With Amabel, it was pretty easy to just do the baby thing; I didn't need to try to manipulate her because it was just the two of us. I majorly tried to manipulate August. I wanted to be able to go to the grocery around Amabel's naptime and it was a thirty minute trip each way and I was just fighting mad about having to work his feedings in on his little baby time. (But also, he chewed me to pieces until I finally started having to pump everything. Sorry to be so graphic. He was a punk baby!) Now, it's just like "Amabel, August, there's a baby." They don't get it. Why would they get it? But all the planning guilt I've been having? All the trying to pull myself together feeling like I am just a total mess and everyone saying "no one thinks you're a mess" and me saying "Yes they do! Everyone's criticizing me!" ? Wanna know where that's coming from? It's coming from "Momma, the wrapping paper. The wrapping paper!" as said wrapping paper is being waved wildly in my face. And "Here's her sweater. Momma! Here's her sweater!" as I burp Elspeth with said sweater being waved wildly in my face. And "are we fixin' to leave? Are we fixin' to leave? Are we fixin' to leave? Are we fixin' to leave?" And "Where's my coat?!!!!" And every other impatient dramatic cry I hear all day every day. And I keep thinking that everyone else can do this. I know I know, everyone else isn't me. They didn't just move or they don't have three or their husband's not in school or whatever. This is true. I appreciate your nods of sympathy. I think the biggest difference is that I have no break. I almost think I could have twice as many kids if they were all in school or all took a long nap. But instead, I have all at home all day and one with no nap. One with no nap is worse than two with no nap. Because two with no nap can play together. But one with no nap comes to me. I am talking about something I have no idea about- what it's like to have more kids or kids in school etc. - so please excuse me if you think I am saying your life is easier than it is. I really don't know. I am sure everyone's life is harder with kids than without. And I just have a bend that makes me want to be without, at least for part of the day. You know it's bad when I, nightowl of nightowls, look at my husband at nine o'clock at night and say "I'm going to bed." This is what happened last night! It's 7:45 and we may be on our way to the same thing again! Anyway, my point is that I have a bunch of different people wanting their way. I feel like the baby wins because the baby is a baby and babies need grace. Big girls and big boys seem like they should just be patient (dammit!). Like me (ha ha!).

So I am not, nor am I making "joyful little muffins," but I did want to throw this out there. We have been making oodles of Rice Krispies treats of late. Not because of the commercial though! I think Valentine M&M's are a very bad thing. Of course any sort of M&M is a major weakness for me, but if they're all pink? Come on! I think we've been through something embarrassing like five bags since they came out! They are so good in Rice Krispies treats. My little sister taught me that. I have also learned from Rice Krispies, the real Kelloggs ones, being on special that the name brand ones really are a lot better than generic, which I had been buying for years. I usually need a refresher for the recipe which is printed on every marshmallow bag and every Rice Krispies box, generic or not, but I have found that they are all just slightly different- somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 tablespoons of butter and 5-6 cups of cereal and around 10 ounces of marshmallows, some a little less. I have decided they are a little better when you use the most butter to the least cereal. Gooey is good. And buttery rather than marshmallowy. Last tip: spread them into a rimmed baking sheet instead of a brownie pan so they will be more shallow and then cut them with metal cookie cutters. That's the best way to let your kids help because everything else is done on the stove and they can't do much there. We finally got around to taking a goodie bag to our new neighbors today. I think they will agree that the Rice Krispies hearts were super cute. And I sent some to Michelle for her sneaky little joke! No, I sent them because we all need a little chocolate if we're gonna keep putting up with this motherhood thing! Everybody hang in there! As for me, I'm past the help of chocolate... Time for a beer!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, its definitely been a beer kind of day around here. parker is sooo cranky and sick so we don't get to go anywhere!!! i have thoughts of valentine's cookies but am really thinking they might be a week late this year- and its not like Parker can really help much. i just do it for the icing and red hots! jennie

Elizabeth said...

Ahh, a woman after my own heart! Not many of my friends enjoy an iced cold one :) It definitely helps improve my attitude after a stressful day! And those rice crispy treats sound delicious. I know that's always been your specialty, and I've always liked them, but never make them for whatever reason, and Caroline always begs for the pre-made ones at the store, which I never buy either...I think we'll have to have a cooking lesson this week and indulge in some m&ms!

Abby said...

jennie, jennie! rice krispies treats are FAR easier than valnetine's cookies, my friend! trust me, I made BOTH, and we all ended up wanting the Valentine's rice krispies treats, the ones with a fourth the prep time, over the others. Step away from the mixing bowl!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Abby, I hear you on the beer. Actually, I've been drinking red wine lately even though I still LOVE beer. I'm just hoping that the boys don't figure out the causal relationship between them walking in the door talking and mama pouring herself a glass. :) It is harder when they are all home and all young. Find yourself a groove that works for you and give yourself a break.
--annie :)

sara said...

I'm all for a little alcoholic beverage to cure the 4:00 blues! I recommend hot chocolate with a splash of Jack Daniels. And I may steal your rice krispie thing, seeing as I have to come up with something for Macie's V-Day party at school. I chose to buy a cake from a bakery for her Christmas party, and that was a disaster. I told them to make it a "Happy Birthday Baby Jesus" cake, and instead it was like an "all hail Mother Mary" cake. Terribly emabarassing at CPA!

lauren said...

have a beer girl! we had a daily happy hour every night to get through liam's first 6 months of life! i was seriously a better mom because of it. :)

Anonymous said...

Mike's Hard for me! Michelle

Juelfs Family said...

Love your thoughts on the fake babywise lady! I often laugh at the fact that according to Babywise, life is full of predictability every day. We've come to accept our unpredictability in the Juelfs' house (even if we secretly long for it). Just like you said...it's quite hard to force a baby to do much anyway. Great way to put it...they do need a lot of grace. Enjoy your beer:)

Courtney said...

Reading about the Rice Krispies... I can almost taste them. I've never put M&Ms in them, though. Sounds tasty... Trying to lose this baby weight is HELL!! It seems like there is always a "holiday" to celebrate. Anyway, I think you're doing a tremendous job even though I can't see you. I can just tell by reading your thoughts. So many people are incredibly apathetic b/c they're so overwhelmed. Whereas, you are more frustrated b/c there is so much you want to do for and with your kids that you just can't possibly fit it all in! You're a great mom.... Cheers -

dblyoo said...

bottoms up, my friend and bring on the chocolate! i'm going to need it VERY soon! :)
-wp

Anonymous said...

Hey we just got our package! You are awesome! The kids loved their rice krispie treats and I can't wait to get hooked on some more Backyardagan episodes- thanks for recording them. Maybe I will stop saying arggg and pick up something different. Although it has come in handy a lot as it has kept me from muttering something else worse- like today when I was emptying the vacuum cleaner filter outside and dust and grime flew all in my face! Anyway, thanks so much- in return I am sending The Cross Centered Life part 2 since the last one I sent changed your life. ha ha Love you, Michelle

Blog Archive