Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Parting

I just wanted to thank you all for prayers for our family and especially for Nannie. She never regained consciousness and died at about 10:15 this morning. Momma was holding her hand and reading Psalms 23. We had all gotten a chance to say goodbye. Momma held the phone up to her ear and let my sisters, my cousins, my aunt, and I, everyone who was not there, say what we wish we could've said in person. I didn't really know what to say. I told her I loved her. I thanked her for loving me and for being my Nannie. I told her I would see her again. I told her I would miss her.

She was the mother of five- Carole, Christine, Ernest (that's Daddy), Elaine, and Ross. Grandmother to five as well. Great grandmother to nine so far (with one on the way- my sister's unborn baby). And friend to many.

I am so glad the memories I shared brought back your own memories of your own dear grandparents. And I am so glad y'all shared those with me. I have been thinking along the lines of what Michelle said, about something of hers that I would like to have. It has been so long since she was home, so long since I was in her home, that I can't think what it would be. Maybe when I am there, something will catch my eye. One thing I have thought of is her cookie jar. She never baked cookies herself, but it was always stocked with Oreos or Grasshopper cookies or Fudge Striped cookies. And the cookie jar was really an ice bucket I think. Oh, she'd not like me telling everyone that! There was an old notebook with sheet music in it that she used to let us look through to pick songs out for her to sing when she tickled our backs before we went to bed at night. I wonder if I might could find it? But I would think that these things would be treasures to everyone and not just me. Or maybe she thought of all of this herself and had something in mind for each of us.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and prayers. The funeral will be on Friday. My sister is coming home from France with her family. And my other sister is coming down from New Jersey with hers. It will be the first time in years that we have all been together. We are planning to all (except husbands who have to go back to work and school) stay in Nashville for a couple of weeks and I know there will be a lot of happy times in there too. Both my niece and nephew have a birthday to celebrate during the visit! And of course we will celebrate Nannie.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Abby,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...so sorry about your Nannie! But so glad you got to at least say good-bye(temporarily). Death seems like such a weird thing, and it is so difficult to go through when it is someone close to you, but it is also such a healing time to be able to spend time with other family members and celebrate that person's life. How providential that you've been feeling so much closer to your family as of late!

Will call you soon!

Courtney said...

My prayers are with you and your entire family. It sounds as if your Nannie loved having all of you around her, and this seems like it will be one of those times. I pray for blessed time with your parents, sisters, cousins, etc.

the good, the bad & the ugly said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. I remember meeting your Nannie at least once when I went to Nashville with Rach. I'm glad you will be able to mourn with the comfort of family. Take care!

sara said...

Abby,
I too am so sorry about your Nannie. I am thankful that you were able to know her and love her well. And I hope these next few weeks are a special time for your family. We are here if you want to stop by.

jennifer said...

We'll keep you and yours in our prayers.

Blog Archive