Monday, April 30, 2007

Dumb Post About Movies

Okay so I flaked out over the weekend and now I have three more lists to make up for. I am not sure anyone is keeping track or caring at this point. But I am a woman of my word. First up, because it's easy and it really does say something about me (which is probably something very embarrassing), are my favorite movies from high school. Plus, everyone loves a trip down memory lane. These aren't ranked from 7 to 1, just my seven favorites as I recall.

1) Shag
2) Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves
3) Aladdin
4) The Jerk
5) Dead Poet's Society
6) Some Kind of Wonderful
7) When Harry Met Sally

And since I have two more to do today, let's go ahead and do my favorites from college. Not sure whether this will be more or less embarrassing.

1) Star Wars- all three, to the point of being a little ridiculous. I am not going to get into it. I still really enjoy Star Wars from time to time, but I have never really liked anything else from that same genre.
2) Clueless
3) Emma
4) Jerry Maguire
5) Tommy Boy
6) Breakfast at Tiffany's
7) Sabrina (the newer one though)

The college movies are definitely less embarrassing. So these were all movies that I watched like every week or so. Well, a lot of them I watched that often. If I have kids who just sit around and watch movies their whole lives, I'll know there's a problem. Think of all the productive things I could've been doing instead! On the other hand, I don't remember watching many television shows. I never saw shows like Dawson's Creek or Melrose Place. I did enjoy 90210 early on when they were still in high school and I think I watched Friends towards the end of college after it had been on a few seasons. Anyway, I don't have favorite movies anymore like I did then. I used Blockbuster.com to jog my memory and there are so many movies that I had on VHS and watched again and again that I have long since forgotten. While I don't watch them again and again, here's a list of seven movies that I think are remarkably well done as well as being greatly entertaining and that we have in our DVD collection which started when we received a DVD player as a wedding gift from all of George's college buddies (seven years ago on Sunday!). Again, all of these lists are not ranked from one to seven, just seven collective favorites. Who could say which is better than another?

1) Life is Beautiful
2) Moulin Rouge
3) Amelie
4) Pride and Prejudice (BBC miniseries)
5) 13 Going on 30
6) Big Fish
7) Love Actually

Don't laugh at 13 Going on 30. It is really so good, and I need a lighter one in there with all the drama. Other favorites include Sense and Sensibility and You've Got Mail. And though I've only just recently seen it, I think Stranger Than Fiction is worthy of a top spot as well. So this really would've worked better as a top ten. Seven is tough for a lot of things. I mean, this stupid post took me all day. Well, I actually have only spent about seven minutes in front of the computer, but I just kept coming back to it because of all the interruptions while I was trying to remember movies. Anyway, don't know if it's even an interesting topic. Feel free to make fun of all my picks or say how cute you think Matt and Jenna finally ending up together is too. What are your favorites from then and now?

7 comments:

katie said...

I love 13 going on 30! Good choice! The only one that I just hated was Big Fish. I saw it at the theatre and remember making a conscious decision to fall asleep.

Top 7 from high school:
1. You've Got Mail
2. Pretty Woman
3. When Harry Met Sally
4. Sleepless in Seatle
5. Fools Rush In
6. Three Men & a Baby
7. The American President

Top 7 from college:
1. Love Actually
2. Father of the Bride 1 & 2
3. Bring It On
4. Elf
5. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
6. About A Boy
7. The Sweetest Thing

Both lists are a bit embarassing!

abby said...

Fools Rush In was almost on my list for college too! And I loved Father of the Bride. We can't watch it anymore now that we have a little girl, it is too sad. I also loved The American President at one point too. And About a Boy is one of both of our favorites! What about Little Women? I thought you loved Little Women.

Fittsy said...

Movies have never been my thing particularly, though I do enjoy watching them often.

Favorites from highschool and earlier:
Sound of Music
Sense and Sensibility
Pride and Prejudice
You've Got Mail
Baby Boom
Father of the Bride
The Gods Must Be Crazy


Now I really don't like to watch movies more than once, and there are probably less than 5 that I will regularly see again; 3 are listed above: Sense, Pride and Sound; so really this is a list of movies I really liked and wouldn't mind seeing again, but I don't know about all time favs:

Usual Suspects
The Bourne movies
Gosford Park
Garden State
Enchanted April
As Good as It Gets
High Fidelity

Fittsy said...

Oh, and how could I possible forget such dear sweet Babe - such a favorite of which I never tire.

Matt Churnock said...

that will do pig... I weep every time.

but not Pig in the City, that was baaaaad*!

*said in my best sheep voice

Fittsy said...

And heavens, obviously the directions got me down. Some of my last list are college and many are later...oops!

Tarah said...

You forgot Fletch - that always seemed to be playing at people houses during our high school parties... I saw that movie so many times in high school...

Blog Archive