Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Feels Like Spring Break

I spent every spring break in high school in Destin with my friend Courtney. The first year it was a random group of us from church and Courtney and I ended up in a bungalow with two of my older sister's best friends. We all got really sun burnt and spent most of spring break watching tv inside bored to the point of delirium. It was pretty hilarious. The next two years, Courtney's mom drove us down with some other families, among whose was one of Courtney's best friends, Jennifer, to this day one of the funniest people I have ever known in my life. I think the last year it was Courtney, Sara, Shannon, and I, but I can't remember for sure. Yes I can, because we bought our prom dresses at the outlet mall. Anyway, this is completely beside the point. The main point is that I remember the night before leaving we would always stay up until three in the morning as all high school girls do at sleepovers. The only problem with that was that the adults always wanted to leave at five in the morning to get started on the eight hour drive from Nashville to Destin. So we would wake up after only an hour or two of sleep and I remember this nauseous feeling like I had been punched in the stomach because I was so tired getting up and getting ready for that drive. It always wore off after we got going though. And then, inevitably, we would get to Destin and there would be a cold snap so that we were laying out with goose bumps! And one crazy day toward the end of the week, after we had all had enough of laying on the beach and shopping at the outlet malls, we would decide to brave the cold ocean water. And then there was that feeling again, after running as fast as we could in bikinis and tee shirts into the freezing cold water, like you had been punched in the stomach and I always "almost" threw up! But we always did it again the next year. Anyway, there's lots more I could say about our yearly excursion. It was so much fun! But mostly I just wanted to say that I've been thinking a lot about those trips, not because it's Amabel's spring break this week, but because that feeling of being so tired (or so cold, but in this case it's so tired) that you thought you might throw up. Yeah, that feeling? That's become a nightly experience thanks to the baby who will not sleep! She is on all other accounts the most perfect baby in the world. But Lordy!Lordy! I have got to get some sleep! She did better there for almost a week; I even got a four hour stretch in there a couple of times! Woohoo! But the past two nights, it has been worse than before. I am so tired, George has been getting up before I even hear that she's woken up. Every time someone comments on how cheerful and calm and good she is, I try to give credit to the many prayers we prayed for her to be easier than August and unaffected by all the stress I experienced while carrying her. God was so gracious to answer those prayers so generously. Added to my prayer list for next time, (if there is a next time which I'm beginning to doubt) "Please Lord, Give us a baby who will sleep well!" And it's never too late to pray that for the one we already have!

2 comments:

courtney said...

I remember those days!! And the high school girl fighting... I, too, have an almost 1 yr. old that does not embrace sleep the way my oldest did. It's exhausting!! My husband and I aren't really fighters and we've had 2 middle of the nights "discussions" b/c we're just like zombies we're so tired. It's gotten better in the last month - cross my fingers as I say that - but, it's been up and down her whole life!! Jennifer's little girl was sleeping terribly and she took her pacifier away. She said that made all the difference and now she's sleeping through the night. But, who knows? Everyone has an answer or idea.......

costa rica said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jcondos house, costa rica beach condos, condos rentals. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/

Blog Archive