Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I'm "It"

Sorry to have gone Roanoke on all of you. It was so sweet to be missed. And you can all thank April for bringing me back because I've been tagged! Yippee! Hurray! Hurray! I've never been tagged! Okay, so granted she had to tag seven people. Seven? I don't think I know seven people with blogs who read my blog! Especially considering that I can't tag her or Jessie or Jennifer because she tagged them as well. Also, the topic is pretty broad- seven things about me. And I'm just wondering if there are even seven things (of consequence) left about me that you people don't all already know. You all know that I have three children and my husband is in seminary, that I'm from the South, that I'm hugely sensitive (in a good, not just the bad, way I hope) and insecure and even more hugely dramatic, that I love to bake and smock and sew, that I think U2 is the greatest band of all time and The Wonder Years was the greatest show of all time, that I love reading Jane Austen, and that I nearly died in a car accident in high school with my dad who also did not die but later was divorced from my mom and then even later was remarried to her (now that's something you don't hear about every day). At least I think you knew all of that. So hmmmm other defining characteristics, moments from my life, insights into my world..... I have been trying and I truly can't think of much to share. I've told y'all my whole life story already! Well, mostly, some things even I don't want to tell the whole world. So I had this idea last night that if I couldn't think of seven new things, which I can't, that I'll do seven sort of quirky lists of seven over the next week to promote much discussion. Some of that lighter fare that you fellas seem to enjoy so much. By then, maybe I'll have wrangled up seven people to tag myself. And I know, I am taking this whole being tagged thing very seriously. But I'm so excited so just indulge me. Plus, you're guaranteed to learn a little something about me and your fellow readers, if any of them are left. First up, seven never have I evers:

1) Had a cavity
2) Been out of North America- I have been to Mexico and Bahamas, otherwise just right here in the continental US. Someday I hope to change all of that though!
3) Turned a cartwheel- by the time I quit being afraid/embarrassed, my center of gravity had shifted and then it was impossible to learn.
4) Been skiing
5) Seen an episode of Survivor or ER (or any of the Law and Orders or CSI's or basically any of a hundred crime shows on television- but who watches those anyway?)- quite proud of this actually, as long as they've been on the air and as much TV as I watch.
6) Eaten brussels sprouts- I've never had them offered to me either so that's nice. I have however, been part of a series of pranks in which brussels sprouts and other unwanted food items were left anonymously in a friend's mailbox over the course of a year until our identities were revealed in the school newspaper.
7) Been trick or treating- well, I've taken my kids for several years now and I highly recommend it. But I wasn't allowed to go as a child, nor was I allowed to sit on Santa's lap or write him letters or even see movies about him- basically, to even slightly believe in either him or the Easter bunny. But in college my friends took me to finally sit on Santa's lap. How naive were we? So creepy to think back on the three of us silly eighteen year old sorority girls sitting on some strange man's lap!

What about you? What's the game? You have to drink a shot if you have done one of these things? I'm guessing if you're really playing, several of you are toasted right about now. Drinking games aside, what never ever have you done?

14 comments:

Fittsy said...

1. seen the Pacific
2. broken a bone
3. had stitches
4. made homemade pasta, yogurt or cheese
5. drunk raw milk
6. competed in any kind of race
7. lived anywhere but the South

This was tough - as you can see from my strange list. I aspire to do all but 2/3/7.

dblyoo said...

hmmm...i've never
1. been to california
2. shot tequila
3. been snow skiing
4. gotten a facial
5. owned a pair of cowgirl boots
6. been skinny dipping
7. gotten a speeding ticket

larry the cucumber said...

Well, I've never plucked a rooster
and I'm not too good at ping-pong,
and I've never thrown my mashed potatoes up against the wall,
and I've never kissed a chipmunk
and I've never gotten head lice,
and I've never been to Boston in the fall!

And I've never licked a spark plug
and I've never sniffed a stink bug,
and I've never painted daisies on a big red rubber ball,
and I've never bathed in yogurt
and I don't look good in leggings ..."
and I've never been to Boston in the fall!

Fittsy said...

I woke up early this morning and realized that #6 on my list isn't true. I swam on swim team for years - many, many Wednesday night races.

A replacement 6: worn a bikini

Anonymous said...

fittsy, you aspire to drink raw milk??

elizabeth

katie said...

I have never...
1. gotten goose bumps
2. had braces
3. read a Jane Austin book(don't hate me)
4. ran out of gas
5. done drugs
6. had a whole cup of coffee
7. played in a soccer game

Anonymous said...

I've never...

1.Been to our nation's capital(sad!)
2.Eaten raw fish
3.Seen any of the Godfather movies
4.Been able to stay awake through any of TLOTR movies
5.Had wisdom teeth
6.Had true surgery
7.Driven a manual

Elizabeth

the good, the bad & the ugly said...

I have never...
1.Played a team sport
2.Been on a motorcycle
3.Eaten rutabega (Wheat, barley, rutabega give 'em hell chi omega... haha)
4.Been stung by a bee or wasp or jellyfish
5.Had a baby without reflux
6.Been to the midwest

abby said...

Rebekah, come to think of it, I don't think I've seen the Pacific either, though I have been to California. And I haven't made pasta or cheese, but I'm pretty sure we made yogurt in chemistry class in high school. Raw milk? You mean like right from a cow? That sounds like it might be tasty, but maybe not, I don't even like 2% milk!

Whitney, I think the only thing we share is the skiing!

Katie, how in the world have you not had goose bumps? Are you sure? I haven't done drugs either, or ever smoked a cigarette for that matter, but I have done everything else. I mean, I haven't played on a real soccer team, but I've played the game.

Elizabeth, we share nothing. So interesting! I can't believe you can't drive a stick shift! It's so much fun; you should definitely learn!

Good, I haven't been on a motorcycle either,or eaten a rutabaga (not sure I could identify on either), or been stung by a jellyfish (but I have been stung by a bee- I stepped on it! Can you believe that! That's how I got stung!)And I have been fortunate enough to never have a baby with reflux. I can actually count the times each of my children spit up their whole baby-hood on one hand. Sorry, that's sort of not nice to say when you have it so much harder.

Anonymous said...

You're right...I've done every single thing on your list, too--why are we friends??! :)

Elizbeth

Anonymous said...

And I, apparently, can't spell my own name!

Elizabeth

Matt Churnock said...

If this is a drinking game I know that I can get you and your readers tanked!!

1. I have never reproduced (sexually or asexually).
2. I have never changed a diaper.
3. I have never worn high heels.
4. I have never bought anything from a 'Christian book store'.
5. I have never paid to attend a concert other than the counting crows (and I have done that 5 times).
6. I have never suggested to eat at McAllister's.
7. I have never attended a sorority/fraternity function.

abby said...

matt, that is hilarious! yeah, i would be totally hammered if we were drinking. i STILL haven't seen counting crows! suggested to eat at mcallister's, that's hysterical! what about at traditions?

katie said...

I know, it's strange that I've never had goose bumps! I get cold all of the time and I even get the chills but never goose bumps...I'm not making it up.

Blog Archive