Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Excuses Excuses

Sorry to have been gone for so long. And I'm afraid this post won't be much. I am horribly sick. I mean, it is so gross. I have tried to push through it, but after almost a week I have concluded that that is just making it worse. I stupidly went to two parties on Saturday when I had no voice and then I couldn't even get up on Sunday. George didn't push it and amazingly managed to get all three children to church on time! Now what does that tell you? Is it me that is making us late? Man! Anyway, I slept until eleven on Sunday and took it easy. But it was our anniversary so we felt like we wanted to do something. We canceled our reservation at a swanky restaurant and went over to the Cheesecake Factory and sat out on the patio. They have heavenly strawberry lemonade and I learned from my mistakes at Christmas when I had this same sickness that hot drinks make it worse. Cold drinks seem to help and so I had much lemonade and George had a mint julep which was mighty tasty. (I still haven't ever had a big Derby party like I've always wanted- I was so sick Saturday, George had to wake me up when the jockeys were getting on their horses. I missed everything but "My Old Kentucky Home" and the actual race.) We also split their crab wontons that were really good as well and then we each had a salad. So it was nice even though we were both sick. It was nice to know we weren't spending a ton of money and it was really great sitting outside. We even had a mystery to occupy us besides our conversation: Why were so many people going in and out of the mall at nine o'clock on a Sunday night? Why were they so dressed up? Some of them were carrying garment bags. Some were carrying flowers. Everything we could come up with didn't quite work. We decided to go exploring after our dinner- which was really just to walk out by way of the mall. And we discovered it was the Saint Louis University fashion show done by all their design majors. We didn't get to see any of the show, but there were a few photos up. Several pieces were really cool. Sort of makes me want to sew. Anyway, after that adventure I felt like I was gaining some steam and I really did alright yesterday. But George is swamped at school and didn't get home until after seven. By then I had made a big Target and grocery run, cooked supper and given three baths but my voice was completely gone. And we still made the mistake of watching the Saturday Night Live special we had taped from Sunday night and were up until near eleven. So today poor August has a momma who is practically mute and has mostly just watched TV all day while I've slept on the couch. I guess everyone has days like these. And Elspeth's unprecedented marathon morning nap almost seems like a little gift of mercy so I could get the extra rest. I just do the pendulum swing. I feel guilty for missing things so I push myself which makes it worse which makes me have to miss something later and feel guilty about that.

I have much to say besides just my ramblings on being sick. I can't decide whether to go for it or just save them for another day. I guess I should look at the history I have just related to you and go the not pushing it route. I'll be better soon, surely. But now you know why you haven't seen or heard from me in a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abby, I hope that you all are feeling better soon.
-- annie

the good, the bad & the ugly said...

Abby, I am getting over strep and sinus infection. It has been AWFUL! The boys started running fever yesterday but we immediately got them to the dr. We are all on the mend now. Hope you all are better, too!

Blog Archive