Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I May Regret This One...

This is for all you people who don't feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve waiting for the big surprise and excitement of the coming morning.

I never discuss politics on here. Neither US nor PCA politics. Both topics are way too complex. I have gotten just barely mature enough to realize that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I know that's not very mature, but it's a far cry from college Abby who had an unmovable opinion about almost everything. So while I don't have anything emphatic and earth shattering to say, I do have a different type of topic for discussion if you wish.

So I was watching The View today waiting for the interview with Elizabeth Mitchell who plays Juliet on Lost. But before we got there, Joy decided to speak out against the President. She announced that she was going to do it as if it were something new when she already takes every opportunity to disrespect and berate him. And I don't like her anyway but she says such unintelligent and outright mean things when it comes to President Bush that I usually just change the channel. I heard the beginning of her little tirade, something about how wonderful Al Gore is and how he and Jimmy Carter say that President Bush is the worst president America has ever had. One of her reasons was that he finished the story he was reading to the children on September 11th. Not that anyone even knew what was going on at that moment. Anyway, as usual I had heard enough and flipped. When I came back to check on Juliet, Rosie and Elizabeth were having a huge shouting match. At that point Joy had extracted herself from the conflict and was actually trying to make peace between the other two. It was bizarre.

Anyway, the worst president ever? I have some doubts about that. I had a pretty skewed understanding of American history growing up in the Deep South. My high school history teacher thought Andrew Jackson hung the moon. Only later did I realize that this view is generally the complete opposite of that which is held by everyone else outside of Tennessee, or perhaps outside of his classroom. While Tennessee is not so much the Deep South, Macon, Georgia is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the Deep South. And that is where I learned that President Lincoln was nothing to be excited about and that President Grant was someone to be ashamed of. High school was more of the same in that regard. I have later learned that Lincoln was truly and phenomenally important and that I was never instilled with a proper respect for him. I recently heard a friend of mine who I have a lot of respect for talking about what a great Christian man Lincoln was. That was something I still had never heard. I have heard Jackson and Lee praised time and again for their love of the Lord, but never Lincoln. All of this is pretty embarrassing to admit. And all of this accounts for part of the reason I can assure you that I know the South is not without its major flaws. I know that racism comes to mind any time people talk about politicians circa the Civil War and that not liking Lincoln or liking Stonewall Jackson implies a bigger problem than just historical understanding. For those not from the South let me assure you that I think this is something we need to do better on; we need to be more sensitive and more aware. However, I think that most often people are not thinking about the underlying racial problems when they think of the South. Or maybe I am naive. I just had no idea when I was being taught these things that they would be considered horribly racist by the rest of the country. I realize now how that is true. But I'd like to think that the people teaching me were as ignorant in connecting the dots as I was. It has only been since I have moved out of the South that I began to connect those dots at all. And I really regret that. I have a friend who went down South for graduate school and was horrified by some of the celebration of Southern generals and monuments. She said that after a while she realized that it was a pride in heritage and that a lot of Southerners don't mean anything by it. But again, while I appreciate her understanding, now that I understand the other side, I think I owe it to everyone else to be more sensitive and do the work of connecting the dots. All of this has turned into something else, but my point was that I am just waking up to a better understanding of American history.

So I don't have a good grasp on who our worst president could have been. I mean, I suppose it is possible that Bush could be the worst. I don't even know how to get a good perspective while we're still in the middle of his administration. I think hindsight really is 20/20 in some of these situations. And if he finds Osama Bin Laden, I'm sure the record will change. And I guess I don't want to chit chat about George W. Bush because I don't pay enough attention anyway. Just wondering if y'all can think of a better worst president off the top of you heads. Also, I wonder if we can even begin to realize what a hard job it is to have room to criticize anyone who has had the courage to take it on? So maybe my point really is that Joy Behar is mean.

2 comments:

courtney said...

I am so glad that you posted on this b/c I saw the big fight today, too! I have never seen anything like that on live television - at least for sure not between women. Anyway, what's unfortunate for the American public regarding politics is that they are now somewhat owned by celebrities. The problem with that, besides the obvious, is that celebrities insulate themselves with people that worship them and agree with their every whim. Whereas the general public is mostly incapable of escaping dissension. Joy's comments were from a book written by Al Gore. I mean, he's the most liberal and fruity of many Democrats!
So, while I don't think that Bush will be canonized as Reagan has been, he will not be the worst. He's one of the first to even attempt to confront the Muslim terrorist networks and they have been around for many, many years.....

P.S. I started a blog, too, just FYI! You were my inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I saw yesterday that Jimmy Carter is now backing down from the statements that he made. The problem with celebrities using television as a forum for politics, is that they're spouting their own opinions and people take what they're saying as fact. Although as U.S. citizens they, of course, have the right to free speech, their comes with that forum the need to be responsible with what they say.

Blog Archive