Sunday, June 03, 2007

I Finally Won!!!!

I think most of you remember my ebay woes from the past. Ebay is a thorn in my side! But it is also the reason my daughters and my son have adorable clothes to wear (well that and Nanna). I hate it, but I need it. Besides just for consignment clothes and fabric, I need it. Because I have been working on a project for almost three years now that I had no idea would be so huge until I got into it. I needed a bedspread for Amabel's bed and had a hard time finding anything I liked. I saw a lot of cute bedding in magazines and concluded that it must all be custom made. One thing I found I liked again and again was vintage chenille. And there is scads of vintage chenille on ebay. But the more I looked, the more I learned about it until I became a chenille snob. There are some manufacturers and patterns that are more sought after, and I've learned quickly what I like. And even when I've found what I like it is not always easy to find big enough pieces. George thought it just wouldn't look right unless the squares were fairly large and I thought large would be fine too. But it turned out to be a huge problem. Because so many times a piece would seem huge but would only get me two or three squares in the end and I would not be able to bid very high. Over time though, I have collected a lot of chenille. I finally began making the blanket sometime earlier this year and decided it looked all wrong. There just wasn't any continuity. So I decided what I needed was one big white spread to cut up and put between all my squares to pull it all together. And the good news about that is that it stretches my collection so that I would have enough chenille to make both girls a blanket. The only problem became winning a full spread. It was insane. I would put in my high bid at $40.03 and lose at $41. It kept happening again and again. I finally went crazy and bid $70.03 and wouldn't you know I lost to $71? All for the same spread! There are enough of them out there, but it is just amazing that even when I nearly doubled the last winning bid, I still lost. I'm glad I lost the $70 bid. That was just crazy. But finally, after weeks, no months, of bidding on the same dang spread, I won! Hurray! Hurray! I won! And I won at $32.00! Beautiful! So that's my summer project, to finally make Amabel's bedspread (up until now, she's just had a small crib sized quilt- terrible, I know, but it still covers her pretty well). We-he-hell, that's one of my summer projects. I have much more on the agenda. I've got dresses to smock for my girls, for my sister's girls (hurray! she's having a girl!), for one of my really good friends that is having a girl 's girls! For Jennie's girl and boy! And I also have sewing that doesn't involve smocking. The first on that list is a grocery cart seat cover for Elsepth. And then a hundred other things, I'm sure. But I can't think of any more right now. That list will keep me occupied for a good long time anyway, dontcha think?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on your win!! i know ebay can be so frustrating but so exciting and necessary. i have never purchased anything smocked in a store, only on ebay. good luck with your sewing (and you know what i will say about the stuff for my kids...)
love, Jennie

Anonymous said...

congrats on your ebay win! we use that fabulous cart cover you made jones all the time. you should sell those on ebay! :) thanks SO much again for doing that. i just read on abothebear that elspeth is crawling...so fun! i can't wait to see you guys if you end up in these parts sometime this summer...
-wp

Tanya said...

Yeah! Congrats on your win! Wow! What a great win too! I love my grocery cart cover that I bought myself and never leave home without it!

Blog Archive