Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Hoping for Very Good Things from Y'all

As I am sure everyone else is, I am still very distressed over Amelia. She has started producing white blood cells (hurray!), but there seem to be several new problems. Please keep her in you prayers as always. But can we try to have a bit of lightening up around her again? I know even Steve and Jen are needing that now. They have written of a few outings recently that I think must be keeping them still sane. They really are sane. I saw Steve (they were home for a while with some family, just taking a break- they came by because they needed a spare key) on Sunday and was blown away by his ever positive attitude. What a testimony of faith and courage they have been! So now for a little diversion to keep all of us more sane.

Jon relayed a review about Ratatouille on his blog that made me think I might want to see it afterall. Cars was just so disappointing wasn't it? And I never saw what was so incredible about The Incredibles, though I know many will disagree. Wait a minute, now that I think about it, I'm not crazy about Finding Nemo either! I do so love A Bug's Life, Monster's Inc. and the Toy Story movies though. I have only seen The Incredibles once so maybe I should try it again. But really, I'm not the cartooniest person around. I am more of a romantic comedy person; though I am the first to admit that most romantic comedies are very poorly done, and I would much rather see something from another genre that is well done than a romantic comedy that is poorly done. We have only been to see Pirates this summer, or really since Elspeth was born. I didn't like the ending. I would tell you what I didn't like specifically, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. But you know how Fourth of July is a huge movie holiday? So I thought I'd bring up movies and see if any of y'all were among the "holiday movie-goers." What are you going to see? What have you seen recently? What are you looking forward to being released in the theater? We have entertained the idea of going to see Ocean's 13 as we have two free movie passes. Would this be squandering our passes? It just doesn't seem like I've heard much about it, or anything lately. Except Knocked Up. And I do not want to see Knocked Up. Even that title, that expression, is yucky to me. Plus, it's by the Forty Year Old Virgin people. Is that right? We made the mistake of renting that. Well, we have Blockbuster Online so it was "free" in a sense, which is good as we turned it off after five minutes.

We have been doing that a lot lately, turning movies off. We watched about 45 minutes of Crash last night before we finally decided we had seen way too much. I am sure there is a powerful or positive message in there if you can make it that far. I hope there is even some hope at the end. But it was just too whoa for me! A long time ago my friend Jennie and I went to see a "comedy" called Very Bad Things with Christian Slater and Cameron Diaz, oh and Jon Favreau who we then only knew from Swingers and his stint on Friends. Too bad we didn't see this "Rated R for strong, grisly violence, sexuality, drug use and language" before we went. We thought "Christian Slater! Cameron Diaz! That guy from Friends!" It was the darkest thing I have ever seen. It was so dark that we had no bearings for that kind of movie at all and naively thought it would turn itself around. We waited the whole movie. We never left. It kept getting worse! So I have learned my lesson about watching something all the way through- it is better to just turn it off! That was back in the day when we had so much free time that we'd say "I feel like seeing a movie. Let's see what's playing." (And then we saw "comedy" and the names of a few actors and since we liked them, didn't pay attention to anything else) Now we have to make time to see things really worth seeing. And that requires a little but of research on our parts. So tell me what we should make time for- in the theater or at Blockbuster.

5 comments:

Jandy said...

Abby, I watched all the way through Crash, and it totally was not worth it. You saved yourself the agony of a pretentious, thinks-its-much-better-than-it-is film. Same thing goes for the director's latest film, Babel.

As far as stuff in theatres now, I did like Ocean's Thirteen a good bit. Better than the second one...it's good fun if you like heist movies, and while it's not quite as enjoyable as Ocean's Eleven, it does a fairly good job of capturing the same general feel. Ratatouille, too, is excellent. But then, I think The Incredibles is one of the best films ever, animated or not, so our Pixar taste might not be quite aligning. ;)

If you want to go a little more offbeat, both Waitress and Paris, je t'aime are still playing at the Plaza Frontenac theatre. Waitress does have adultery, but...it's tasteful. If that's possible. I mean, they don't actually show anything explicit, they just briefly talk about it. And it's a sweet, fun, romantic comedy with an oh-so-slight satirical edge. Paris, je t'aime is a compendium of short films from well-known directors all set in Paris, showing different types of stories in different Parisian locations. It may not be a film you'd enjoy, but I found it delightful (note that I am currently obsessed with Paris and French film, however--and this one is in French, with subtitles).

I want to see Knocked Up, but I'm putting it off until I can get the DVD and have control over my viewing experience. ;)

Abby said...

Jandy, thanks so much! I like foreign films sometimes too. I think if they are good enough to make it over here, they are probably the best ones so they are usually pretty good. Although I have no idea what the big deal was about Monsoon Wedding! Anyway, the thing about waiting for movies like Knocked Up to come out on video, or what we found with 40 year old Virgin, is that all the DVD's come out with their big "unrated version" they're so proud of. But that just means to me that all the raunchiest stuff was left in. Is there a way to avoid that when the rentals come out. We looked for that on the menu of 40 year old virgin, a way to just watch what was actually rated, but we couldn't figure out a way. Thought you might know...

Anonymous said...

we had the same experience with the 40 yr old virgin when we rented it. very gross. i really liked oceans 13. what do you think about evan almighty? jennie

Jandy said...

Sometimes they'll release DVDs of both the rated and unrated versions, but the unrated ones tend to be more popular and thus easier to find. Go figure. I've never checked at Blockbuster...do they carry the unrated versions? I know they won't carry NC-17 rated films, but I don't know if they realize that's basically what unrated cuts are...

Monsoon Wedding was very good, but it sort of straddles the Western film/Indian film a little strangely. If you didn't like it, you might stay away from other Indian film, because it's like that, only...more so (well, to be more specific, it's like that in style, but not usually in content, which tends to NOT involve child molestation, because Indians are quite conservative--now that I think of it, depending on what you didn't like about Monsoon Wedding, you might like Indian film in general!). I personally prefer the full-on Indian extravaganzas, but I'm strange. And you're exactly right. We only import the top, like, 10% of all foreign films, so we get the cream of the crop. ;)

courtney said...

We don't get to go to the theater often, but we do love some Blockbuster. I thought that The Holiday was pretty good. It's a little "intimate" at times, but, it's a pretty good watch. I have to disagree with the consensus of Crash, though. I thought that was an excellent movie. Some of the scenes were extremely disturbing, I will agree. But, the way that it is all pieced together at the end was, if nothing, convicting. At least, that is my feeling from the Southern culture. I'm not sure it should have been acclaimed for the reasons that it was in the Hollywood genre, but, as a believer, there were some moments that were incredibly clarifying for my husband and I.

Deep thoughts with Jack Handy.....

Blog Archive