Monday, August 06, 2007

I'm back. I think.

I have been truly pathetic with the posting lately. I will do better. Maybe. I can commit to nothing. The piles of fabric around my sewing machine and the invitations tacked to my fridge that have yet to be RSVPed speak volumes about that! One thing that I am forced to commit to every day whether I feel like it or not is the making of meals. People have to eat! I mean, I went for years on one (or two) sort of pieced together meal a day. It would start with the mooching of cookies at lunch, progress to a Coke after cross country practice, and end with a pouch of instant cheese grits for supper around nine o'clock. My, wasn't that healthy? You see, my mother didn't cook. So we didn't really eat. College looked a little more like a bagel and a coke around ten o'clock AM rounded out by a McAlister's menu item around ten o'clock PM. Except days we went to Traditions. If we went to Traditions, I skipped the bagel. I think I would be content to still eat that way. Only there is no Traditions in St. Louis, or in Auburn anymore for that matter. I ate lunch at Traditions the day George and I got married. I nearly had our picture made there after the wedding. But it had zero atmosphere. Anyway, what am I talking about? Oh yeah, making food. Sooner or later I had to figure out how to prepare foods myself- seeing as how Kip (aka "the sandwich nazi") wasn't the one who committed to love honor and make sandwiches for me until death do us part. Well, I still got the best deal. But these Edemas, the spouse and the subsequent offspring, have appetites like you would not believe. And they like to change things up. So thank goodness for friends who cook and have me over. Oh the ideas I get when I travel to Birmingham! Why have I not stolen, or at the very least looked through, these people's recipe boxes?!

Here's two new and easy recipes that jazz up your weekly hamburger rotation. You know Paula Deen puts butter inside her hamburger patties? We started putting just the teenciest little teaspoon sized pat in ours. Mmmm boy! It makes extra lean beef taste real nice! Try it if you aren't completely grossed out- we had guests that seemed skeptical until they tried it; I'm telling you, it's tasty!

Broccoli Salad
This is Rebekah's recipe. It is just so much better than you would think!
1 pound broccoli florets
1 c. toasted, chopped pecans (or sunflower seeds)
1c. raisins
4 slices of bacon*, crumbled
1 c. mayonnaise
3T red wine vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
-mix last three ingredients to make dressing
-toss with first four ingredients
*Hey, did you know you can make bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven? Annie had the directions on her blog not long ago. We make turkey bacon and it works great too. 350, 7 minutes on one side, then flip and cook until done. And no clean up if you line your pan with foil! If you're wondering, the best kind of regular bacon (according to Cook's Illustrated taste tests, and popular opinion of people I know) is Farmland, and the best kind of turkey bacon (in my opinion) is bacon done by the turkey people rather than bacon people.

Black Bean and Corn Salad
This is Lauren's recipe. Lauren also has "Meal Planning Mondays" a lot of weeks (including this week) with a recipe or idea for every day! Pretty exciting!
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional- but of course, you know that because you either love it or you hate it. I'm a hater- chopped, fresh parsley works great!)
-Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
-In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.

This seems stupid to put down here. But I just checked the blog. I have had a little distance being out of town and away from the situation. But things with Amelia are just hellish right now. I want to remind everyone to please please pray. Who cares about hamburgers and black beans when there is such suffering? As people in a fallen world, particularly as Christians, and even especially as a pastor's wife, I feel life is going to always be some sort of weird twist between the practical/mundane and the real deep sufferings and joys of God's people. They prepare the men for this is seminary, but the wives don't get a whole lot of (er um any) training. Forgive me as I handle this very awkwardly. But please don't take my awkward approach as lack of earnest or sensitivity. And please, please, please, pray for this sick and suffering baby and her exhausted and heartbroken parents.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always LOVED this broccoli salad...I make it for myself often. I like it in the winter when you can get broccoli, but not so much fresh fruit, and you just want something, well, fresh.

Been meaning to write you all week and tell you how much we enjoyed y'all's visit AS ALWAYS :) Glad to hear you had a good visit with your highschool friends.

love, elizabeth

jennifer said...

Butter burgers--there's an entire fast food restaurant chain dedicated to the idea--Culberts.

Re: Amelia, I check her page every day. We're praying.

jennifer said...

Oops. I think it is actually called Culvers.

Blog Archive