Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Beautiful Day

I did something totally unlike me yesterday. I left dishes in the sink, unfolded laundry on the couch, pulled my dirty hair into a ponytail, and took the kids to the zoo. I needed to go to the grocery store. I needed to work around the house. I needed to bake for Thanksgiving. And I definitely needed to wash my hair! But I went to the zoo with my children. It was so awesome! I needed to exercise so that was a big motivation. The zoo here is in Forest Park which is huge and gorgeous and has all manner of things to do. I have walked there a lot this fall because the weather has made the idea of mall walking shameful. But something about going to walk at 10am (I got a late start because we have had some not so restful nights lately, which is another post) with all the things to do at home seemed like it was totally not worth it. So I had to make it worth it. So I said to myself, "We will park at the fountain and we will walk to the zoo and all around the zoo and walk back to the fountain and it will be joyous for all." And it was. I am still way behind on everything. But it was totally worth it.

I used to be this person, this totally different creature, who would blow off class for something insignificant like another friend having a break in her schedule, or drive to Atlanta or home to Nashville on a whim, or would just buy all my friends presents (oh, well, I still do that- gotta stop doing that, we are so broke!), or any number of strange and irresponsible things. I was carefree. In the truest sense of the word, carefree, free of cares or worries. I mean, I was still very sensitive and dramatic so there were always the wild mood swings and the feeling that my life could surely not get any worse than that I had to find a date for formal. But see, care free. A date to formal is not a care. Why didn't I know that? Anyway, now I'm all "responsible" and a "grown up." I think I have gone overboard though. I think I have lost myself in ironing and three square meals and carpool lines. So what if we have refrigerator free for all for dinner, or we miss a nap here or there? The zoo is too great to miss out on a sunny 65 degree fall day.

We stayed for four hours and saw practically everything there was to see. And I so wish I had a video of the chimpanzees and the little game they were playing, they alone were totally worth it! I am pretty sure August had a blast too, and Elspeth is happy nearly anywhere. She won't remember me holding her up high to see the elephants, chasing after chickens in the goat pen, or getting to pet a big desert tortoise, but I will. And I know I won't remember how I had to iron late one Tuesday night or run to the grocery with all three kids one afternoon. I spend way too much time trying to make my life more organized and fluid, when what I have always loved is spur of the moment, slightly bumpy-lumpy, but exciting days. On the other hand, I do that for the sake of the kids who may not be able to handle too much inconsistency, or so "they" tell me. So who knows? Maybe I am doing the best thing and all of this being a grown up is just dying to self, which is how I've been trying to think of it all this time. But I had a good time being a kid with the kids yesterday, and as far as I can tell, no one is malnourished or in need of psychiatric help because of it!

3 comments:

Wrights said...

sweet abby! i am glad y'all went to the zoo and yay for you for leaving everything to be done for later. i am so not good at leaving things that need to be done but i need to forget them more often and play with the girls. hooray for beautiful fall days. i hope y'all have a happy thanksgiving!
rebekah

Anonymous said...

Hey, this sounds like a fun day. I like your plan of "...and it will be joyous for all". I'm going to remember that.
-- annie :)

lori shaffer said...

At the risk of sounding really old, let me just say...keep taking those opportunities and love every minute of it. It passes so quickly!

Blog Archive