Monday, March 03, 2008

5.7 miles of Tunage

After a lot of trial and error, I have finally come up with a pretty good, and also extremely hilarious, workout mix. It's all over the map. We have some very old and some brand new mixed in with some very obscure. It's awesome! I think the song I am most excited about is "MMMBop." Never has a song been so embarrassingly delightful as "MMMBop." It is everything I can do to keep from singing it at the top of my lungs, because besides that that would be strange, no one else in the workout room is hearing the accompanying music. So it would just be me, off key, "Mmmbop, da ba doo bop..." (I looked the lyrics up online; there is quite the discrepancy about where the bas and das are), but honestly, can't you just imagine people wanting to join in? There is this lady that walks on the treadmills and watches Golden Girls and laughs out loud the whole time. I have thought about putting my screen on Golden Girls to see what's so funny, but I rather like just hearing her.

Well, one thing I learned from this whole super fast workout song search is that I desperately need to get some new music. Granted, the type of music I usually listen to is not workout type music, but even in just looking through our CDs to find something, I realized that a good 80% of our CDs are George's. And George likes really really boring stuff like Hem and Son Volt and Neil Young. Ugh. I gleaned what I could from what we had. And I got a couple of songs off iTunes. (No, I don't have a Hanson CD laying around. Too bad though, huh?) Anyway, here's the "final" cut (for now, I am already getting sick of a couple of these), total running time of one hour:

"All I Want Is You" by Barry Louis Polisar (this is the opening song from Juno, delightful!)
"1 2 3 4" by Feist (I don't know why, but this song makes me want to dance- er, um, run real fast!)
"Mudfootball" by Jack Johnson (Jack Johnson is just not workout material, but this song is pretty fast)
"These Words" by Natasha Bedingfield
"Like a Prayer" by Madonna
"Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra (because I have major spring fever!)
"I am Superman" by REM
"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by the Proclaimers (almost as good as MMMBop, but not quite)
"MMMBop" by Hanson
"Mr. Brightside" by the Killers
"Hey Ya!" Outkast
"Grace Kelly" by MIKA (You might not recognize this one, but it is awesome- also hilarious.)
"Run On" by Moby
"Bad Day" by REM
"Light and Day" by Polyphonic Spree (I am sure this song is very New Age-y at its core, but I still love it)
"Yahweh" by U2
and, as all great things should end, "40" by U2

But an hour is not quite as long as I'd like, and I am tiring a little of "Like a Prayer" as I have been working out to it since college! So I could still use some suggestions. Especially if you were ever in the passenger's seat in the Jeep or the Volvo any time in the 90s, we always had the top down or the sunroof open and something playing really loud (like "500 miles"). Anyone remember? Or what did you play really loud with the windows down? Man, I so wish I had saved all those mix tapes from high school and college. But I left the top down on a few too many rainy days to have made that very possible. Awww, Toby! (Toby was my Jeep's name for anyone who is wondering)

6 comments:

katie said...

Oh, I'll let you borrow my CD's! I'm sure you can find some great/embarassing songs that will be great for running. I like the mix so far!

Wrights said...

Guess what I just found this weekend?! That's right, the 16th b-day mix tape and the cross country mix tape you made me! Both from the days of Toby for sure. They were in a box of some tapes I guess I saved from high school/freshman year of college. When I'm not supposed to be making supper, I'll tell you what is on them:)

vwlaura120 said...

great mix Abby! I love that you started it off with the BArry Louis Polisar song! I love that one!we have an hour mix of metal at my kickboxing class, which is perfect every week.

Songs you may want to look into adding:

Finger 11: Paralyzer
Linkin Park: Bleed It Out
Sara Bareilles: Love Song
Taylor Swift: Our Song
Jack Johnson: Anything from Curious George soundtrack
Louis Prima: Zooma Zooma
Bubba Sparks: Miss New Booty (it's terribly inappropriate but gets you to shake it!)
Incubus with Big Pun: I don't want to be a player

I don't have my ipod with me here, but there's so many others!

lauren said...

love it! what is it about high school music that motivates???

i always blast "Free Falling" by Tom Petty and "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman.

oh, and "Wide Open Spaces" by the Dixie Chicks.

abby said...

I have no idea what the deal is with high school music. I think it has just been long enough that we aren't sick of it anymore. There was a time when I thought I if I ever heard some of these songs again, it would be too soon. But then you hear even the titles and you get excited. That said, Rebekah, I have to know what was on those tapes! That is hilarious! Remember how I had like 11 that that one friend made? All gone. I could scream! And the ones I made are gone too. But I forgot I made them for other people! Beautiful!

RHB said...

All I have to say is, you're showing our age with "Mmm Bop", but then I'm glad you're not listening to Britney Spears. :) I like Mmm Bop too. What about some Spin Doctors? :)

Blog Archive