Thursday, February 28, 2008

Get Out a Pot and a Carrot or Two

While I have been stewing over the things we are discussing in the post below, I have also been making a little stew in the kitchen. What a Rachel Ray thing to say! So punny! But I have been making stews lately. I feel so French! I have put off a grocery trip for way too long because of the three snow days last week. And by the time we were desperate, we were only one day away from the Dierberg's 15 hour sale! How hilarious that the grocery store has a 15 hour sale. Not so hilarious, but enough to make you deliriously happy, Sister Schubert's were on special for 99 cents! And fortunately, there was a limit to 4 or I might be in big trouble with or without the five miles a day I've been doing at the Y. I may be in trouble anyway because do you know what they have at Trader Joe's? Dark Chocolate covered Joe Joe's! You've got to be kidding me! Fortunately, I don't shop at Trader Joe's very often. Anyway, I write about chocolate entirely too much. I was supposed to be talking about stew.

So we needed supper last night but we had no groceries. I decided to pull everything to make something: a little olive oil, the last of the carrots, the last two onions, the last sweet potato, a little garlic, a little basil, a little parsley, a little white wine, a little chicken broth, the left over chicken that I roasted this weekend. It turned out so well, y'all! I was so proud of my invention! August sat down at the table and said, "Is that dirt in there?" which was kind of a low. But after he tasted it, he kept saying, "This soup is really good, Momma." So that was nice. I felt so industrious. I had another industrious moment a day or two before where I used salsa, sour cream, and peach preserves in turkey burgers because I didn't have any of the things I was supposed to have. Then I realized I used up all my salsa so I made some with parsley, an onion, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice, and pineapple. I turned out pretty well. The turkey burgers turned out exceptionally well. George wants me to make them that way from now on. If only I can remember what I did exactly...

Anyway, tonight's stew is from a cookbook. And let me just say that I have invested at least four hours in this stew. Oh sure, it's delicious. My house smells amazing. But I am not going to post the recipe. And I will almost certainly not make it again. Because four hours of chopping, sauteing, stirring, and going back and forth from stove to oven is just whoa! But I have a friend who makes it every week! I asked her what kind of shortcuts she takes and it does not sound like she takes very many. I tip my cap to you, Heather. Because, whoa! I found a link for y'all in case you are daring. Really, a lot of you know your way around the kitchen way better than I do so you might could do it a lot faster than me. Give it a try, but don't start at 3:50 like I did, because it will not be ready in time. I thought of you especially, Rachael, because it is so French but with American instructions. Impress your friends! Just make sure to chop ahead of time!

Well, I think the last 15 minutes of simmering is up. And now, at one in the morning, so eight hours later, I can put my stew away and go to bed. I am not kidding. (But I did take a break from 8:30 to 11 or 11:30 so subtract that from the total time. )

2 comments:

Heather said...

Well, Abby, it does take a while, but sometimes I cheat and buy sliced mushrooms. I always use frozen pearl onions. I also chop while I sear my meat, so I try to do double duty in the kitchen. This must be why I make this meal most often on a Sunday because few have the skill to sear, chop and break up disagreable children while by themselves! I know I don't! I hope you enjoy!

RHB said...

Beef Bourguinon is a classic french country "plat en sauce" and it is delicious! The great thing is that leftovers taste even better than the first day! I have a couple of versions of this recipe if you are interested in trying them. Antoher great on is Blanquette de veau!

Blog Archive