Monday, April 14, 2008

It's a Two-for

I just ended my post today with a phrase containing the word "yeah." And that reminded me of another thing that really gets on my nerves. People get this wrong all the time, and I think they need not to. I may actually be thinking of some of you this time. Andy Rooney style, that's right.

"Yeah" (pronounced pretty much like it looks) means "yes."
"Yea" (pronounced yay) means "hurray." (also means "yes" in a vote- yea or nay- or in older English- like the King James Version of the Bible)

Somehow, I know these things, but I looked it up just to make sure. Links for those who won't take my word for it.
link
link
link
link
Carry on then.

1 comment:

Katherine Fain said...

abby, we are kindred spirits at heart. i have the same issues with "yeah". it's the small things, huh?
btw, you've inspired me to start my own blog of authenticity.
http://onewomansjoys.blogspot.com

Blog Archive