Tuesday, June 10, 2008

As Promised, 59 Things You Never Wanted To Know

1. What is your middle name? Abigail. I go by the nickname for my middle name. Never do this to a child. It is annoying. Because the minute I tell someone my middle name is Abigail, I wait for it to sink in, then watch as the person gets a confused look and says "Wait, your name is Abby Abigail?" Well, some people aren't quite so confusable as all that. But the worst is that doctors offices, waiters who think they're being clever, and everyone else that has any sort of card or identification for me calls me Mary. And that's just annoying. Mary is a lovely name, but I am so not a Mary. Mary Abigail though, why didn't the folks just go all in and call me Mary Abigail? It's so charmingly Harpeth Hall, or for people who don't know Nashville, so Old Southern money sounding. (Harpeth Hall is an all girls school in Nashville where Amy Grant, Reese Witherspoon, and lots of Mary something or others went to high school. They wear cute little tiny plaid uniform skirts and saddle shoes. There is a side of me can't help but think it would've been pretty cool, or at the very least interesting, to go to school there.)

2. How big is your bed? Queen.

3. What are you listening to right now? The sound of the dryer. And lovely silence.

4. What are the last four digits on your cellphone number? I really never can be sure, but I think they are 7530.

5. What was the last thing you ate? A cookie and a scoop of vanilla ice cream at my friend Sonja's house.

6. Last person you hugged? August. I think. All three children when I put them to bed tonight.

7. How is the weather right now? Lovely. It is a nice cool night.

8. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone? Georgie. He's out of town.

9. The first thing you notice about the opposite sex? Wedding band or not. I always feel better if I am dealing with someone else with a wedding band. Is this weird? I think it is because for 22 years, I pretty much just flirted with the opposite sex. Not in a really yucky way, just in a silly, immature way. When flirtation was no longer acceptable, I just sort of quit talking to them altogether, except when absolutely necessary, which is more often than ya think. But if they have a wedding band, I know that they will not perceive whatever I say or do as flirtation. Okay, this is quirky I'm sure. It all comes from having a dad who doesn't talk and no brothers. Or that's my excuse anyway.

10. Favorite type of food? Dessert? Or maybe Mexican, but that's what Laura said so I'm trying to be original. I also love seafood, but am a little wary of it away from the beach.

11. Do you want children? Have three. Am ready for number four. Have no insurance. Will be waiting for number four until future is secure. Still think fondly of possibility of number five. Will have to wait until they cut me open to see what they say about the possibility of stitching me up and cutting me back open at a later date. Ah, the joys of c-sections.

12. Hair color? Brown. Increasingly so. Would you believe I was as blond as Amabel as a child?

13. Do you wear contacts? No.

14. Favorite holiday? Christmas. Who are the people who pick something other than Christmas?

15. Favorite season? Fall. From October right on through December. Exponentially better than any other part of the year. It makes me a little sad that so much delightful goodness (yep, delightful goodness) is crammed into three short months. Except during those three months. But like right now heading into yucky, hot summer, ugh, I could really use a pumpkin.

16. Have you ever cried over a love lost? If you have to ask, then you really don't know me at all. Even have you ever cried over an earring lost or a dollar lost is a little bit of a no brainer dontcha think?

17. Last movie you watched? The Family Stone. I watched it four times last week. Man, I just love that flick! (And FX for showing it four times in three days!)

18. What books are you reading? Middlemarch by George Eliot. And I'm still working my way through Henri Nouwen's The Inner Voice of Love.

19. Piercings? Just regular, one hole in each ear. Another pretty easy one to guess. I've never even sort of considered more.

20. Favorite movie? Hmmm, there are so many. I love me some really well done ones that are hard to watch like Moulin Rouge and Life is Beautiful and Big Fish. But they are too tragic for frequent viewing. So I stick with Jane Austen films. And lately, The Family Stone.

21. Favorite college football team? Auburn Tigers!

22. What were you doing before filling this out? Putting the kids to bed, pouring me a nice big whiskey and coke, and calling my husband who, strangely enough, was also having a drink (not sure what though).

23. Favorite animal? Not such an animally person, really. I mean, they're fine, but I never was gonna be a zoo keeper or anything. I did decide at like 9 that I must one day have a chinchilla. I no longer feel this way. But I do hope we will have a dog one day. And as far as the zoo goes, I guess big cats intrigue me the most. Because there are so many different kinds of them. And because they're like my cat, only bigger, and isn't that kind of weird?

24. Favorite drink? Always gonna be a Coca Cola girl. And it's hard to beat Toomer's lemonade. Though you might could improve it with whiskey. Or at least that's true of coke :)

25. Favorite flower? Hydrangeas. But it's hard not to favor a lily of the valley or a peony this time of year. And in a few months, the sunflowers will be huge. I could go on and on. Flowers are one thing I always splurge on.

26. Have you ever loved someone? What kind of question is that? Seriously. I assume it means someone of the opposite sex? So no.

27. Just kidding! But other than the obvious, George, I plead the fifth.

28. Who would you like to see right now? The sandman. Actually, that is some really scary Hoffman story isn't it? I just mean I want to go to bed. But I would be pretty fired up if Bono walked in. Or anyone really. I so miss the days of late nights in the dorm or a house full of girls. And tonight, I miss Georgie. But he's having a good time, so I won't wish him home.

29. What color are your bedroom walls? Sage green.

30. Have you ever fired a gun? No. Which is weird when you see all the guns my dad has always had. Then again, I don't think he ever really fired them very often, just polished them and traded them and stuff.

31. Do you like to travel by plane? I haven't been on a plane in 9 years. I don't think I would mind it, but I can't imagine getting really excited about it either.

32. Right handed or left handed? Right.

33. If you could go to any place right now, where would you go? Excellent question. I guess I don't have the itch to travel that so many people have. And maybe that is just because I haven't done it enough. But really, I don't get that excited about places as much as I do about people, so wherever there are lots of friendly and fun people, that's where I want to be. On the other hand, I do kind of get a bad vibe from places, atmosphere is really important to me. I cannot enjoy good food in a redone Burger King, for example. Because hello, it looks like a Burger King with a piano where the smoking section divider used to be! And I can't run down a busy road with factories and rundown retail spaces. So I want to be somewhere cozy, quaint and romantic, but not marketed as such (can't stand a tourist trap!)- some charming little coastal New England town, a centuries old college town in the Deep South, basically somewhere worthy of a Cottage Living write up.

34. Are you missing someone? George. But he'll be back tomorrow. I can handle it.

35. Do you have a tattoo? Can you imagine if I did? No, an obvious and resounding no. Although, I have just been thinking what kind of tattoo I would have if I had ever gotten one, and I decided that the idea of having a Chi Omega tattooed where you're supposed to wear your pin (above your heart) would be hysterical. Man, I hope no one has ever done that before. No, the thought of getting a tattoo has never even crossed my mind. Ouch!

36. Do you still watch cartoons on Saturday mornings? They aren't even on in the morning anymore. I used to get up at like five on Saturdays when I was a kid. My kids are bouncing off the walls by nine before they even start. And they're lame now too. George keeps saying we just need to get Looney Tunes on DVD.

37. Are you hiding something from someone right now? What kind of person just says everything to everyone all the time? A very brave person, that's who. And probably a kind of rude person too. I must say, I am neither. In a word, yes.

38. Are you 18? No. 30.

39. What is the wallpaper on your cellphone? Elspeth's smiling face.

40. Are you afraid of the dark? Absolutely.

41. Favorite hangout? As if I ever hang out anymore! But sometimes my friend Sonja and I skip Sunday school and go to Starbucks. And we can do that because she's the pastor's wife :) That is always a nice treat, to actually have a conversation without kids. My only other "hangout" is when the moms all stand around and watch our kids on the playground. And you know how that goes, "hold on just a minute, she's running out in the road...," "wait just a minute, I'm scared he's going to fall....," "oh, she needs to go to the bathroom, we'll see you later..." Not really so much hanging out as having choppy, fragmented, cut short discussions.

42. 3 things you can't live without? Oxygen, water, food. Just kidding. Um, my husband, my children, my friends.

43. Favorite songs? Since ninth grade, "One" by U2. But that is horribly trite at this point. I should listen to new music more often. I used to always have someone making me tapes or telling me what to listen to. It was extremely helpful. Now I am in a Jack Johnson, Counting Crows rut, though I found both their latest albums to be extremely disappointing. I kind of wonder what ever happened to Taylor after American Idol. Remember him? I mention this because I am kind of looking forward to what David Cook will do. This is silly, yes. But you must consider that my only exposure to new music is via American Idol. Which is horribly embarrassing. I was sitting in traffic yesterday with my windows down trying to let the hot air out of the car. This was also embarrassing because I drive a minivan. And there is nothing cool about driving around with the windows down in the minivan. I had flashbacks to this time ten years ago when I used to drive around in my Jeep Wrangler with the doors off listening to all the oh-so coolest music there was. Or so I thought. Last time I had that flashback was around Christmas time when we got the new Feist CD. Something about "1234" was really fun for me. "1234" and "Mmmbop." Because you know, I'm eclectic like that.

44. What are you afraid of? The dark, being alone, the death or peril of my husband or children. That last one is something that kind of plagues me. It requires daily prayer to shake it. Does anyone else struggle with that?

45. Are you a giver or a taker? Giver. It's way easier. Though I fear that as far as emotional support goes, I am way more of a taker. I'm a needy gal. In a bad way. Wah waah.

46. What are you nicknames? Oh man, do we have time for these? Anything you can do with Abby has been done. I think we've discussed this before. But for those who are curious: Ab, Abs, Abs of Steel, Absky, Abtron, Abelina, Abby Road, Slap Happy Abby, Abby Normal, Abbygail, Gailmeister, Gailster, Miss Abigail, Mizabby, Abigail Catch-a-snail (and that one stuck somehow!), and surely I'm leaving something out? Mostly now, I just answer to Abby, Momma, Wife, and Honey Bear. Yeah, George calls me Wife (less now, because I hate it) and Honey bear (which is mostly a joke that we call each other), and almost never Abby. For some reason, people are resistant to just plain old Abby. It's kind of strange, really.

47. What is your dad's middle name? McCall. Nice, eh? I've thought of using it.

48. What do you sleep in? A bed. Ha ha! Pajamas, which is equally obvious dontcha think?

49. Stuck on a deserted island and can only bring one thing? Is this assuming I will be able to find food and water? What about a boat or a satellite phone to get off? That makes me sound way more practical than I am. Okay, I'll play. I don't know though. I mean, what would you do without music or books? But on the other hand, you would want a picture of your family. Maybe I'd bring a guitar. Because then I could make music. After teaching myself more than the three chords I know. But if a string breaks, it's a waste. This question stinks.

50. Favorite TV commercial? So many I don't like, I can't think of any I do. I will update this one if anything but the most obnoxious commercials ever comes to mind.

51. First thing you save in a fire? If the children are okay, then I save the smocked dresses. This is a running joke, yet it's absolutely true. There are years of my life in those dresses, y'all!

52. What is your favorite color? Pink.

53. What are the things you always bring with you? Amabel, August, Elspeth, Elspeth's diaper bag, purse containing wallet, keys, and phone, and more than likely a bottled water or cup of coffee. And don't forget, my smile. Ching!

54. What did you want to be when you were a kid? A ballerina. This might have been more possible if my mother had let me take dance lessons. I also had an idea around nine or ten that I would really like to be a pastor's wife. Is that weird? I think it is just because our associate pastor's wife was really sweet. I thought I couldn't wait to make some little girl's day by knowing her name and saying something kind to her like she always did to me. Plus, she was really pretty. I suppose I assumed that if she was, all pastor's wives were. So hey, automatic niceness and prettiness, sounds like a good gig eh?

55. What do you usually do when the alarm turns on? Hit snooze and keep sleeping. Doesn't everyone? This is built in to my factoring what time to set it for.

56. What color are your bed sheets? Khaki. And let me tell you, I cannot wait to pitch them the morning we move. That is the best thing about moving this time, new sheets for the first time since going off to college!

57. Who do you want to meet? Oh gosh. I never think about these things. Nice people. I want to meet nice, friendly, polite, hospitable, honest, generous, kind, compassionate, energetic people. You know, people like me.

58. Ha!

59. What do you think about before you go to bed? Whichever prayer request is weighing most heavily on me. That is why for months I had nightmares about Amelia and about my friend Jane whose husband died. Lately, it is more about my kids because I feel like a crappy mom. Seriously, I am not getting through so I lecture and snap which is making everything worse. I have derailed. But we'll pull it together somehow. This is why I pray. And therefore why I am thinking about them when I go to bed. Them, or running. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I really will want to run tomorrow; I just don't want to run now because it's midnight and I already ran today and I need to go to sleep. All of which is true at this moment. 'Night y'all!

1 comment:

e.c. said...

Interesting answers, Abby! That must have taken forever too! But you know, I do so love questionaires, so I might have to do one. I also have never even entertained the idea of more than two piercings or getting a tattoo. I don't think badly of people who get them anymore like I used to, it's just so not me!

Oh, and I still want to know about the pulled pork :)

Blog Archive