Monday, May 05, 2008

My First Poll

I need y'all's help here. I know the first part for a fact. For Mother's Day, when the mother in question has a mother who is alive, you get her a red corsage. When the mother in question no longer has a mother who is alive, you get her a white corsage. I am encountering two opposing, but very strong positions on the next part. The flower in question: rose or orchid? I am interested specifically in the white flower. At this point I have one rose and one orchid ordered. I gave my mom an orchid last year and she seemed to think it was weird. At $10 less, I am happy to give her the less weird rose. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, loves orchids. I am paying for that one when I pick it up and I may be a little taken aback when I get my grand total. But, I tend to think orchids are right on this one. I am not sure why. One florist assumed orchids immediately, and the other assumed roses immediately. Both florists are swanky and do beautiful work. So which is it? What do y'all think? And incidentally, please don't say anything to Stephanie or the Carnster about their corsages if you talk to them.

8 comments:

katie said...

Don't really pay attention to my vote(orchid) because I don't actually know what I'm talking about...I just like orchids better. Can you tell I'm bored at work today? :)

Jessie said...

Can you just stick with one of each?

Renae said...

OK, you've lost me on this one. I've never heard of this! Is it another one of those "southern" things (*wink*)?

So now I'm wondering, what do you do if the mom in question has a mom who is living, but they don't get along and don't talk to each other any more? (not me, by the way)

And, going back to your last post, I'm glad to see a few others on a limited budget who do not shop at Aldi... I've been there a few times, but because I can't get most of what we buy for food, I don't want to mess with an extra trip. Plus, there's at least one (unnamed) person in our family who can't abide generics--not for EVERYthing, but for MANY things.

And lastly, yes, Madeleine used to wear dresses every day up until 1st grade or so... now I can't get her to put a dress on at all... NCF is so casual on Sundays that I don't fight the battle. She's probably hoping we don't get sent to one of those pew and hymnal kind of churches!

elizabeth campbell said...

I have never, ever heard of this, I mean, as a rule. When I was little, my dad used to purchase a white orchid(definitely my choice just based on what I like) for my mom on some mother's days, but I didn't realize there were rules to follow. This may be terrible, but I've never done this for our mothers since we've been married. I usually just get some token gift, speaking of which, I better get busy so I can get it in the mail tomorrow!

Wrights said...

I really have no idea, but I say get the less expensive one if that is what your mom wants and the orchid if that is what George's mom likes. You are so good about things like this!

Abby said...

well, yes, i do plan to stick with the orders i have placed. what i'm after is what is correct. is that surprising? is it just among family that i have a reputation as miss manners? and of course, what they would say is that if i don't know, then no one does. the big whopping three votes would seem to confirm that somewhat.

renae, it is totally the extra stop factor with aldi! and okay, a little of the anit-genericism too. i just made that word up, by the way :)

elizabeth campbell said...

Oh, and Happy Anniversary, Abby! Hope y'all get to do something special!

Olive said...

Aince I'm from the north- all I thought was- huh? A Mother's Day corsage??? WHAT? Never heard of one.

I am of the opinion, though, that roses are way too over done, and that pretty much any flower beats them. Plus I love me a pretty orchid. So, if I were a mom, and you gave me an orchid corsage, I wouldn't punch you or anything. I'd ever wear it, albeit a bit weird for a northern. ;)

Blog Archive