Monday, July 21, 2008

It's Oh So Quiet

Funny thing about Nashville, it is beautiful. I mean, breathtakingly, soul-soothingly lovely. It still takes me forever to get anywhere, but instead of horrific road work and busy interstates, I am driving past verdant pastures and over rolling hillsides. And why is that funny? Because it is such a sleepy thing! My parents live on three acres backed by woods where deer, wild turkeys, coyotes, and now, one lost and lone grey cat live. Wild animals wonder into the yard peacefully (although, I reckon the coyotes aren't so peaceful...), dozens of trees shade the part of the lot that is not thick with woods, and there are only four other houses on the street. This is a huge change from a bustling apartment complex where the rent check box is right outside the door and all of the service men come by for apartment keys and then later with invoices, where the neighborhood swing set is set up just outside the window, where the interstate is less than a mile west and the train tracks are just a few yards east, where factories and bus stops clutter the main street not a half mile away, where forty families come and go all day and into the night. I can't tell you how strange it is to hear only the sound of the air conditioning all day, and the occasional clamor of ice cubes into the ice maker. It's like I can't wake up! I can see that after a while this could get depressing. After all, I'm one of those who gets energy from being around people. But for now, it is pleasant. Boring, but pleasant. In an effort to occupy myself until my youngest is up and we can all go play outside, I am finally getting to this tag from Elizabeth. She posted it weeks ago, but I reckon I have an excuse for my delay. And as I always say, better late than never.

Were you named after anybody? Mary after somebody I think, but mostly because it goes well with Abigail, which I was named because of David's wife Abigail in the Bible.

When was the last time you cried? Hmmm, I can't remember. I think it was sometime right before the last week moving crunch in St. Louis.

Do you like your handwriting? Yeah, but no one else does. I like it a lot though.

What is your favorite lunch meat? Boar's Head Ovengold turkey, sliced very very thin.

If you were another person, would you be friends with you? I don't know. I think so.

Do you use sarcasm a lot? Yeah, too much. But I try not to be mean.

Do you still have your tonsils? Yes

Would you bungee jump? I have no real desire or temptation to, but if it was like really important to someone and they needed someone to do it with, I might could be persuaded. However, I am pretty afraid of heights.

What is your favorite cereal? So many delicious ones to choose from. I love me some Lucky Charms or some Frosted Flakes or some Cracklin' Oat Bran or some Cap'n Crunch, particularly the peanut butter variety (although I haven't had any variety in years).

Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Yes, until they get too old and worn out to worry about it anymore.

Do you think you are strong? Definitely physically. It's the only plus to not being a beautiful little waif. Emmotionally, I have no idea. Sometimes I think not at all, sometimes I think maybe so.

What is your favorite ice cream? Dove Unconditional Chocolate, it has a ganache layer that you have to eat through to get to the icecream! Alternatively, a Dove ice cream bar is simply scrumptious.

What is the first thing you notice about people? Manners. Whether they are warm, friendly and polite, or not.

Red or pink? Pink, emphatically.

What is your least favorite thing about yourself? That I am so hung up on the things I don't like about myself.

What was the last thing you ate? A turkey sandwich.

If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Carnation Pink, of course.

Favorite smells? Whatever I'm cooking. Unless it's a turkey roasting; that is the most nauseating smell to me. Or onions cooking in butter or cooking oil. Onions with meat or some other sort of veggie, okay. Onions on their own, burning rubber. Also, I love the smell of babies. I so want another baby.

Last person you talked to on the phone? My mom.

Favorite color? Pink. Why are there so many color questions on this?

Favorite food? Salmon or Crab. Because yum! I also love me some chocolate. But one cannot live on chocolate. Or seafood for that matter. Oh, and bread! I love bread!

Scary movies or happy endings? Happy endings. Who are the people that answer scary movies?

Last movie you watched? Amadeus. I had never seen it. Can't say that I liked it either. Kind of sad and creepy, really.

Summer or winter? Winter. A thousand times, winter.

Hugs or kisses? Neither. Poor George.

What book are you reading now? Nothing. I need to get back to Middlemarch. I didn't even get very far. Well, 200 pages in Middlemarch is not very far. Any other book and I would be nearly finished.

Favorite sound? "I love you, Mommy." That squeaky noise when you slide your fingers over guitar strings, baby babbling, logs on the fire crackling, ice in a glass clinking, and gravel shifting under car tires. My Nannie had a gravel driveway, and anyone we ever knew with a farm had a gravel entry; driving over gravel means you're on your way somewhere fun!

Any special talents? Writing? Cooking? Those are things I like to do anyway. I can name 10 people I know that are better at each off the top of my head though. So special talents, not so much.

Well, Elspeth is up, but it's 96 degrees out. So, I guess we better find something to do inside!

5 comments:

Jessie said...

I really like your handwriting and I am pretty sure I've mentioned it before, actually.

I will try to call later this afternoon again. I was frantic this morning and you were who I need to call in my franticness. Actually I think I needed you to be across the street, but you weren't so I settled for the phone....

jennifer h said...

Your description of Nashvegas made me want to visit. I love it when you drive for miles and see one mini-estate after another and then a not-so-mini estate, and then you find yourself in the woods.

We're thinking about you guys. Enjoy the quiet for as long as you can.

the good, the bad & the ugly said...

Abby,
I hope you are settling in. The only time I have ever been to Nashville was when I came home with Rach. It's so amazing.

RHB said...

enjoy the peace and quiet- and please rescue the lone grey cat from the coyotes!

the skocelai said...

abby, i may have some insider information regarding protein and your run. e-mail me if you're at all interested. it's made the weight loss soooo much more effective!

Blog Archive