Thursday, July 17, 2008

Live and Learn

Whoever said that running on an elliptical machine was as good of a workout as running on the street has been smokin' a crack pipe. That's what I have to say about it. Because six months of six mile, 700 calorie burning, hour long workouts at medium-high resistance on an elliptical machine have nothing on just two miles on the street! Two slow, pathetic miles of un-air-conditioned, but fairly flat street and I am beat. I feel so out of shape! But I'm not supposed to be... Perhaps this explains why I have lost neither an inch nor an ounce in all these months at the Y. I was beginning to think that there are plenty of cute little chubby ladies out there and I may just have to be content to be one. And that's still in the realm of possibility, you know. After all, my mother is a cute little chubby lady. And really, I'm terribly cute at any size. For now though, two miles is better than no miles. And stay away from elliptical machines! What a waste!

6 comments:

the good, the bad & the ugly said...

Two miles is longer than I've ever run without stopping for air. Really, sadly, it is.

the skocelai said...

AMEN! I only find ellipticals useful for those pregnant months when the bouncing incurred by real running is a tad too uncomfortable. AND, running on the street is way harder than even just running on the treadmill.

Anonymous said...

Ellipticals are a much safer workout than running, which puts a lot of wear and tear on your body in the process of working out. Elliptical readouts are useless for calculating how hard you are working, though. Strap on a heart rate monitor to make sure you're actually getting a good workout, then you'll be burning calories without destroying your joints.

courtney said...

I think that they are only good for rehabbing after a sports injury. Otherwise, they're garbage. I agree- nothing is better than running. Also, I did a boot camp class after I had my second, and it really got my metabolism jump started. It felt like I was at a sports camp. It was hard, but, it was great.

Abby said...

i get what you're saying, anonymous, but i did do the heart rate thing and kept it constantly above 150, usually around 160 or 170. so, i don't get it. on the other hand, yeah, the reason i started on the elliptical was because of an injury i was recovering from. i kept it up because of the no impact thing. when i am so much heavier than i was running in high school and in college, i felt it was important to take the impact of all that weight into consideration. unfortunately, all that work is not helping the weight come off and i really need to try something different. i am a little worried about another injury, but i am trying to keep from working everything too hard too fast and hope that keeps me from another problem like i had earlier this year.

Anonymous said...

Abby,
I am all for ellipticals--and as you know, I am TERRIBLE at running. But my trainer teacher person always says when you try something you haven't done for a while and it is really hard, you are "not out of shape...you are just out of that shape." Does that make any sense? Well, plus i know that you are a true runner unlike myself, so i am sure you will adapt very quickly if you decide to keep torturing yourself. You could always come to my neighborhood and walk with me:)

Looking forward to Tuesday, Sara

Blog Archive