Saturday, July 26, 2008

Waiting

Okay, so boring turned into depressing almost immediately, and we had a rough week this last week. My mom has been in Arkansas for a week because my sister is having a baby. She isn't due until this coming Wednesday, but those dang doctors always say the dumbest things to pregnant women, "Oh, this baby is huge! 7 pounds already! There's no way you'll make it to your due date!" And then women, or particularly the women in my family, all get together and beat a topic to death until everyone (except me, in this case) decides that the baby is coming any second. You can't blame a pregnant lady for trusting her doctor though, and especially not for wanting to not be pregnant anymore! I think she has had a pretty frustrating week waiting on this little guy to arrive. The only reason I didn't think he would, incidentally, is because doctors do this to me every time, so I have learned that babies generally do not come early, even if they do weigh nearly nine pounds and everyone who looks at me thinks I'm having twins. However, I didn't think her last baby would come early either and he came 8 days early. Anyway, we have just been hanging out while my mom has been gone. And it makes me realize that my hurried, busy trips to Nashville in the past have had a lot to do with her. I really don't know anyone here anymore.

However, yesterday we had a really fun day. We went downtown to the Nashville Public Library to see a Tom Tichenor puppet show, The Frog Prince. I grew up seeing Tom Tichenor's shows with my Nannie. All of his marionettes were handmade, and the shows were always wonderful retellings of classic fairy tales. Mr. Tichenor is no longer with us, and the library is in a different building now (though I was delighted to see that the mousehole moved with the library!), but the show was just as wonderful as I remembered. If you would like to go as well, it is showing on Friday and Saturday mornings at 9:30, 10:30 and 11:30 through August 9th. There is also a lovely exhibit of some of Mr. Tichenor's other puppets in the Courtyard Gallery through August 3rd.

That outing helped jog my memory and I was able to pull together some ideas for future outings to do in the coming weeks while my mom is still in Arkansas. My mom is really not so different as a grandmother than my grandmother was. But generally speaking, she is sort of a homebody and rarely planned anything for us when we were younger. As a grandmother, she does a little more planning, but usually more along the lines of shopping or eating out. I think so much of it is personality. I can't stand being at home. I just get so stir crazy. I think I plan activities as much for myself, if not more, as I do for my children. I mean, I plan kid things, but I plan them to help me stay sane! I am wondering if Nannie was the same way. My point is that I will be drawing from my experiences as a child with my Nannie for the most part. It makes me sad that I won't get to visit her and tell her where we have been.

However, that is on my list, as morbid as it sounds, to go visit my Nannie. The cemetery where she is buried is where my aunt was buried. Nannie used to take us with her when she would go visit my aunt (her daughter who was killed in a car accident at age sixteen), and we would play in this strange little place where there was a stream and wishing well, and little ducks and cottages. It was so weird that it was at a cemetery, and I almost thought I made it up until my older sister, Rachael, and I started wondering about it at Nannie's funeral last winter. My uncle knew exactly what we were talking about and took us right to it. It's not so much that it's a "can't miss" attraction, but Amabel has expressed a desire to go see where Nannie was buried anyway. It is nice that there is something pleasant there, because I can't think that it will be very fun to hang out in a cemetery!

Mostly, we are just sort of passing our time in Nashville. It is strange to not feel the same sense of purpose as I did in St. Louis, where by the time I left, I had a church body, a neighborhood, and a school to serve. Not that there is any love loss between me and St. Louis. I much prefer Nashville. But I wouldn't mind grabbing a handful of the precious families we know in St. Louis and transplanting them to my parents' neighborhood while we're here. It's definitely not permanent, being in Nashville, so it feels like a visit. But it's not a visit either. I realize that my job is first to serve my family, but I don't just leap out of bed thinking about laundry and dinner prep, if that makes any sense. It's just that I have been on a steady course, along with my family, for ministry to the Church. And it just seems so bizarre that God has servants, willing and able, and he's not doing anything with them. Yes, I know, he's doing something. But I'm not. I have no resources. It's really weird. I keep thinking of that page in Oh, the Places You'll Go! where "everyone is just waiting."

The Waiting Place . . . for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.
Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.

And not just me either. My sister is waiting for her baby to come. My other sister is waiting for an inevitable move back to the US. One of my friends is stuck waiting for the lease to start on her apartment so she can move her family to New York City. And we know several other families also waiting on job possibilities. All of these things are these edge of your seat, life changing events that are definitely coming. We just have to wait. What are you waiting on?

4 comments:

e.c. said...

Welll....I was waiting 'till this week to call you, and now I'm really sorry I did :) We got back in town late Wednesday night, so I played catch up for two days, and yesterday was really busy, but I guess I'll see you this morning? Hopefully, we can do something fun this week!

courtney said...

Hey! You have always been so good at finding stuff going on and getting out to it! I would love to see you and the kiddos. We're just right down the road, so, y'all can come swim or something?!?! What am waiting on? I'm pregnant and not due until Christmas and I am SO ready to have this baby and not have nausea!! I had no nausea at all until my 2nd trimester. So weird...

Matt Churnock said...

Abby,
I would say that one thing I have learned in the past few days is the danger of waiting for tomorrow instead of living for today. I know I have fallen victim to the game of being discontent for today in the hope that I can be content in the future. It is especially important to keep this in mind when life throws a curve ball and takes you somewhere completely different than where you thought you were going.

the skocelai said...

well, i am waiting for my house to sell so that we can buy a bigger house with a laundry room so that i can get the washer and dryer (which are across the room from each other!) out of my kitchen, a dishwasher, an extra toilet, a new baby with baby stuff to clutter up all that extra space (no announcements yet, but this is a wish list, right?), a body that weighs what it did before the first baby, and for barkless dogs to be bred successfully. but, i echo matt and i need to live contentedly in today rather than lusting after what tomorrow may (or may not) bring!

Blog Archive