Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Hometown Shuffle

Yep, as soon as I decided to change my location on my blog to Franklin from St. Louis, George and I decided to move from Franklin to St. Louis. So see ya later, Nashville. There are so many reasons why. But mostly, we have a church home in St. Louis. And George wants to work for the Church. Preferably for money, but at least in St. Louis he can work for the Church. Here in Nashville, he hasn't even been able to find work at a Starbucks or the bank he worked for in St. Louey for two and a half years. And we have found a load of lovely churches. We really weren't even finished visiting. But visiting is such an anxiety inducing thing for me. I have to explain right away how we live with my parents, how my husband can't find a job, and I have to decide if I give the "but we're cheery" version or the honest "this totally stinks" version. I have mostly gone with the "but we're cheery" version until earlier this week when  I sent an email full of frustration and fury to ten of my closest friends. I won't give you the details from the email, but the result was that many people encouraged me and prayed for me, and it didn't really feel any different :) Not that we expect that. But, the thing that did change was the urgency of the situation, the idea that something must be done as soon as possible.

So tomorrow, when we leave Nashville for Arkansas, we will also be leaving Nashville for St. Louis. We will stay in Arkansas with my sister and her family, including brand new baby Gavin, and then drive to St. Louis from there. We will move in with George's mom instead of my mom and be homeless and unemployed in St. Louis instead of Nashville. But, we hope to find more opportunities to serve, more people to love, and more hope for our future there. If nothing else, at least we will be back in our old church community and (maybe?) school community where there will be people to think about besides ourselves. I think the worst of this all has been how selfish I have been almost without being able to help it. There is no one else in my day to day life, no one else with whom to regularly interact and of whom to bear the burdens. So, quite frankly, I am disgusted with myself, with my attitudes, with the way I have handled this situation, not outwardly so much as inwardly. But I have done my fair share of outwardly thrashing about too. Just ask the people who got that email!

Well, we still surely would appreciate your prayers. I guess everyone has their yuck in life, and our current yuck just happens to be four months without a job, and two without a home. Well, I am sort of rounding up to the nearest month on those, but it's not like it won't be that in just a couple of weeks. I mean, we know that for sure, the situation will not resolve itself completely for some time.  But, we'll let you know when it does. 

11 comments:

jennifer h said...

Abby,

We're anxious to welcome you back to STL, and we continue to pray for you in the meantime. When you get back to STL, we want to have you over for a meal right away. So let us know your schedule.

Abby said...

Thanks, Jennifer! You are very kind! We will let you know when we cross the Mason Dixon :) Hee hee!

courtney said...

I totally see where you're coming from. And, I think you're both being very wise. But, I'm bummed b/c I didn't really get to see you!!! There's always the next visit... I'll be praying for y'all...

Anonymous said...

Well, Abby, I guess you all won't get to come for a visit afterall. I'm disappointed! It was fun to at least run into you at church and chat for a few minutes. I'm not sure that I'd even seen you since Rachael's wedding. I will be praying for you all...Anna

e.c. said...

man....i sooo wish this post were a joke! But, I am praying God's blessing will be outpoured on y'all in St. Louis. Hopefully the waiting won't be as bad in a place that more familiar to your whole family. Please, please, please let us know when you're coming back through...so sad I didn't get to see you more!

the skocelai said...

we'll be praying for a job!

check out my blog, you've been tagged!

Wright Family said...

prayed for y'all this morning. i am so glad that you will be in a better place (selfishly i will miss y'all!) anna walton asked me to do her hair "like amabel" this morning:) we loved our time with you--you're welcome here any time!!!

jennifer h said...

Richard H. prayed for y'all in morning worship this morning. We're looking forward to seeing you here again soon.

lisa michelle loney said...

well you can imagine my surprise when i checked in to see how you are all doing! you're coming back! any chance we can set a playdate? mya will pee her pants in excitement. what good news.
we love our new neighbors but we have missed your family.

love,
the loneys

lisa michelle loney said...

ps-what an odd twist of fate for papias, especially now that you're coming back...i guess he was meant to be a nashville cat.

Abby said...

lisa, we'd love a playdate! and, yeah, i feel kinda bad that we didn't try to bring him back, but i hope he will be happy in his new home :)

Blog Archive