Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More About Elspeth

I realize I am not so very exciting lately. It's not my fault! Anyway, I have darling children. And they keep me busy enough, especially because they have been passing around a virus this week. We thought Elspeth was just teething. I feel kinda bad because we put her in the nursery on Sunday. Then August turned up with a big fever yesterday morning and ended up having stomach yuck too. It still didn't register with us that that must have been the same thing as Elspeth's fever until Amabel woke up with a fever this morning. Amabel has not been sick short of just feeling a little yicky. But by noon, she was all about some peanut butter crackers. So Aug seems to have had the worst of it, as far as duration and intensity. They both took a good long nap today, and no one has actually had to be sick today. The fevers are persisting though. 

But Elspeth is 100% at this point. I took her with me to the grocery to let her have an outing today. They have tiny buggies for toddlers at my mom's little neighborhood market. This is perfect for Elspeth who has commandered (I know this word exists, but I cannot find it in any dictionary. I found two spellings via google search, but none in a  legit reference. Any ideas?) the Little Tykes buggy we have at home and cries when anyone else so much as touches it. Incidentally, she is dragging it up the stairs right now. She was so much fun at the store, giggling the whole time, following me through the grocery and loading up the items I asked her to get off the shelves. Man, I wish I had enough time to grocery shop with her like that every week! It was a precious little mommy and daughter time. We will definitely be doing it more. 

Tonight there was a deer in my parents' yard. Well, the other day a flock of about 20 turkeys came through, so this was nothing extraordinary, a single doe. But Elspeth was so excited about the mommy dear sitting out in the yard. It was kinda weird that the deer just sat down for a while, I guess. Elspeth kept calling it a bunny, which was so sweet in its own way. She ran to get any member of the family she could find to tell about the bunny outside. She would take us to the window and show us, pointing and saying, "Look!" in a loud whisper. She finally caught on to calling it a deer and got distracted for a few minutes. When we came back, it was gone. She then had to run find all the members of the family again to let them know "deer, bye bye."

If I had a video camera and knew how to do it, I could also put up a whole lot of footage of her dancing and prancing about, the cutest thing ever. I just love her personality! Some people have a personality different than yours and you kind of don't know what to do with the differences; you know, it's just work sometimes with people real different from you. But Elspeth has this personality that is so fun and so easy, it's just fun for everyone. Okay, so she is a tiny bit of work when someone tries to play with "her" grocery buggy, but I think we can break her of that. I guess I said this just the other day, but the girl is just pure joy. Alright, so I wasn't saying that last night when she was a total pill because she was tired and hungry... But for the most part, she is contagious happiness in human form.

6 comments:

the skocelai said...

she's beautiful,too! isn't it great when your little one is so cute you can't help but grin when you think of her and can't stop yourself from raving about her to others? in my opinion (for whatever that's worth), our tot has one of those "contagious" personalities too. it works both ways, though, 'cuz when she's not happy... well, you get the idea :). but when she's happy, is she ever FUN! to her credit, she is happy far more than she's unhappy. keep posting about your kids... i love to hear about them.

Anonymous said...

Abby--I know I really owe you a phone call--please forgive me--this week has me beyond exhausted...about the dance thing--Fellowship School of Dance is one place,(Brentwood) and Sheridan School of Dance is another--they teach in Fieldstone and Westhaven. Hope to talk soon, Sara

e.c. said...

So sorry y'all have had the crud this week....good to talk to you today, though. I was going to see if y'all wanted to get together tomorrow, but after hearing about y'all's sickness, I thought we'd just see y'all next week :)

RHB said...

Hope everyone is on the mend now! Wish I could look at the deer with Elspeth- but maybe in December if they aren't all hibernating. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a nurse and I still want to run away when my kids vomit- which incidentally happened in the first 15 minutes of our recent 1000 mile trip down here. Hope yours are all 100% soon.

I love hearing about Elspeth!! She and Sophie would be BFFs if they ever played together. My girl is all about fun, and she will climb anything. Next time we come to Nash we should play if you're still there. Which reminds me to tell you that we pray for a job for George. Covenant in LR (our old church) hasn't had an asst for 2 years, and the word is they're not looking, but I'm throwing it out to you anyway......
Becca

Trent&Emily said...

I thought you'd be interested in knowing that Papias has been found! Jen Allen told me he followed a girl home from a pool in a suburb on Nashville & the girl's mom called the number on his tags. What part of Nashville are you in? It'll be interesting to see how far he traveled. We're missing you around Gulf Dr!!

Blog Archive