Tuesday, November 25, 2008

One Last Fall Treat

Wow! So much enthusiasm about homeschooling. I appreciate the encouragement, y'all. I welcome more comments, but I wanted to share a recipe for those who, like me, are planning this week's menus a little last minute. Turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, cranberries, check, check, check, check, but what about the fact that these people need more than one meal while they stay with us?! Many of you may live in town with everyone you will be breaking bread with and will drive away after the big meal, but if you have guests from out of town and find yourself scrambling for ideas for the other meals the family will gather for over the weekend, this may help. Even if it's just your immediate family, this is a nice big festive breakfast to enjoy before a later Thanksgiving meal or a sweet start to Black Friday shopping or tree trimming festivities. Did I say tree trimming? Indeed. Thanksgiving is so late this year and our house is so empty, I have had an itch for a Christmas tree for weeks now! The excursion to the tree lot is scheduled for Friday morning. Woohoo! However, one last fall recipe before I move on to all things winter. This is a family favorite, and I cannot believe I have neglected to put it on my blog until now. Serve it up with a breakfast casserole or with bacon, eggs, and grits, or just let it stand alone and everyone can have more of what they will really love anyway! Incidentally, I often make this for dinner, so don't forget about that. What does Turk call it? Brinner? (ooh! I just found out, and we don't have TV so you may all already know this but, Scrubs starts back on January 6th. ABC bought it, you know, so we get another season!)Enjoy!

Spiced apple pancakes

first of all, the apples:
1T butter
3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
3T firmly packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
juice of 1/2 lemon (I forget this all the time and it is no big deal)
-cook apples in butter with sugar and spices for 20 minutes over medium heat
-serve over pancakes with whipped cream

now for the pancakes ( from, or at least after the fashion of Joy of Cooking):
1 1/2c. flour
3T sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2c. milk
3T butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- have milk and eggs at room temp. for eggs, this can be quickly accomplished by putting refrigerated eggs in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes (I know, I'm a genius. That, or I read Cooks Illustrated...) combine milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla and set aside
-combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
-pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- fry up some pancakes :)

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Mmmmm, I think we'll have this Friday morning, too!

wp said...

yum, yum, yum! how many will this make?

Abby said...

you know, by itself it feeds my family perfectly, but we are pretty piggy when it comes to this meal. so I would say four to six adults, depending on what else you are having. I usually double it when we have more people joining us, and then, of course, i have other things with it and we end up with leftovers. good question, but i'm not sure if this helps with the answer! i always neglect to put the "yield" on recipes; I forget that people need to know that type of thing! at least this is sort of ballpark, right?

wp said...

hey, that works! i'm planning on making these for christmas morning! thanks so much! :)

Blog Archive