Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A Post From My Coffee Break

We don't get a television reception out here in the country, and we aren't in a position to splurge on cable, so we have been keeping up with our favorite shows online lately. Eli Stone, House, The Office, 30 Rock, and Samantha Who? are all available online. And that is really nice. I also just realized that Food Network has full episodes of Iron Chef America online. We love us some Iron Chef America! However, I am the type of person who leaves the TV on for hours during the day just to hear the noise. I did this even in my busy urban apartment, how much more do I need it in the quiet country?! I am tempted to wonder what in the world is wrong with me that I can't stand quiet and solitude, but I am just going to go with it being a personality thing and be okay with it. I just like people, even if they are TV people who can't see me. I like to hear Ina telling me how to fix crab cakes from the next room; even if I am not paying attention, she's there if I need her. I like to hear Giada cooking up pasta for her family while I am fixing PB&J for mine. But Food Network doesn't have all of that online. And, for some reason, I really miss commercials with online TV anyway. I know, I'm such a weirdo. Anyway, the point of me telling you all of this is to tell you what my dear, sweet sister did for me. She taped two long play video cassettes worth of Food Network for me! 

So this morning, I am having a late start to homeschool and enjoying one of my hot chocolate and coffee concoctions (in an extra big mug) while I enjoy a little Everyday Italian with commercials! I have already gotten up to do dishes and tend to children a few times, and that sound of chefs in the other room is like coming home! I know, I really am a dork. Well, the thing that prompted me to post about this was the commercials. I am getting a king sized dose of Christmas commercials (the best kind!) and I have to say that I do not understand the car commercials. They are always the same, someone covering their honey's eyes and leading them out into the snow covered driveway to reveal a brand new black luxury car with a gigantic red bow on it. And my thing is, who do you know, even know of, who has ever given or received a car for Christmas? Maybe a less expensive (we hope) car for a child, because that is the kind of things parents could do together, but what husband or wife is ever going to go make that type of purchase without talking to their spouse? And then I think, well maybe they are the kind of people who have a $70,000 limit on Christmas gifts, maybe that was their budget! But if that were the case, which I can hardly believe is true (I cannot imagine making that much money in a year, much less having that much to spend on Christmas), why are they advertising it on regular  channels like this is normal and people out there will see the commercial and follow in suit? I am sure I am putting way too much in this. I just wonder who their target audience is. Maybe it is a couple who will more realistically make the decision together and get a new car for Christmas because they are getting a Christmas bonus? I guess I should not pretend to be the typical Food Network viewer when I cannot even afford it in the first place! I just figure that this Christmas car commercial formula must work on some level or we would not keep getting it again and again, year after year. Not sure if this is the sort of thing you can say anything about, it's really just an observation, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. 

I reckon I better go educate my children now. Happy Wednesday! 

5 comments:

Jessie said...

This post made me laugh, and I like laughing! I think the same things. BUT, here it seems not so far fetched. I just read an article about "average" people who pay $2000 per person to enjoy an evening 7 course dinner at some particular restaurant in Manhattan. I am thinking? Are you joking? Who drops $4000 on dinner for two in one night? And I recently saw a hotel on the park advertising its penthouse suite for something like 1,999.99 per night. Huh? Seriously? If you have that kind of money do you really want to pay 2 grand to sleep in a bed w/ a great view you can't even see while you are sleeping? I mean...Yikes. We have a $20 gift limit for each other this year....

courtney said...

I have thought the exact same thing this year. All these car commercials, following news updates of how many points the Dow was down for the day. Ironic?? Probably they're trying to trick people into leasing a new car to rope them into even further debt... Shame, shame; we know your name!!

Anonymous said...

Without divulging too much information, without an OK from the giver, there is one person in church who did such a thing. She received an inheritance from her grandmother and bought a car outright for her husband, without him knowing. She went all over St. Louis, talked to every car dealer with that car, work them down to HER price, got exactly what she wanted, tied a bow on it, and presented it to him on Christmas morning through the front window with all the children (4) looking on to get his initial reaction! Whew!!! She pulled it off!!! She bought something very small in price for herself and called it a day! Now, I could give you three guesses and I bet you couldn't guess her, unless you already heard this story! Chris Meyers PS HI!

Abby said...

cool story, Chris! no, i haven't heard it! i guess an inheritance does make for unusual circumstances huh?

funny girl said...

lol.....
Thanks buddy.

Blog Archive