Thursday, December 04, 2008

Well Now That's Interesting

George has the day off tomorrow and wants to go out for breakfast. Our favorite breakfast place, City Coffee House and Creperie, is way over yonder in Clayton and that is too far from where we are now. So George was looking online for a place to go and I mentioned that there is a little coffee house on the little 20 yard strip that is downtown Eureka. He looked that one up and a whole lot of Christian coffeehouse stuff came up. Well, we should have known that anything called "Solid Rock Kaffee Haus" would be a "spiritual" place (my apologies to our pastors if they chance read this; I really have been paying attention in Sunday school). Anyway, because we are the type of people that loved the church scene in Four Christmases, of course, we also thought the idea of a Christian coffeehouse was a little, shall we say, thought provoking. And George said, "that coffee house is going to heaven when it dies!" Ba-dum-pum! Anyway, lest I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about, here is one of the links (christiancoffeehouse.info) that caught my eye; I'd love for you each to check it and voice your thoughts. I am kind of interested in a less (or more) cynical opinion. 

9 comments:

Jessie said...

Sheesh. You know me, I think its a secular/sacred dichotomy that should not exist. B/c it doesn't. Is that too blunt? Cynical?

The Rays said...

it seems a little silly to have a web site that has to tell you its ok to wear jeans or dress up, come by yourself or with a crowd. does that really have to be spelled out??

The Rays said...

Happy Birthday by the way! Will call later. xoxo

jennifer h said...

Ok. I do think it is a little cheesey, but I think the idea is that these places are ministries first and places to buy coffee second. It sort of seems like they are franchising the coffeehouse idea we had at the christian college I attended. It was a monthly concert-life atmosphere where students performed and coffee was served. The reason for the directions on how to dress might be because some of these places are associated with particular churches.

So I think if you're looking for a good place to get breakfast and a cup a joe, go to Bread Co. If you're looking for a "para-church" sort of place where Christian bands play their music and you can get some coffee, too, one of these places is where you should go.

Chris said...

Happy Bday Abby!! How come you don't have a facebook page yet? That's where I was going to tell you Happy Bday, but I couldn't find one for you...so here you go. Hope you have a good one!

Abby said...

and see jennifer, i'm just wondering why i would want to do that (go to a para-church place where Christian bands play and have coffee). so i am just thinking if it is not appealing to me as a Christian, how much less appealing is it to people who are not interested in Christianity? but wasn't the point supposed to be some sort of evangelism? and for the most part, the description seems to me to be trying to set the tone as that of a "regular" coffeehouse. and then my question becomes, why not just have a regular coffeehouse? can you not minister to your customers just as well by fair business practice and friendly service without putting them on the spot? i don't know, this just seems to me to be in your face, tract pushing type of "ministry" that doesn't seem to me like it could be that effective. see, i told y'all i was cynical!

jennifer h said...

I didn't say I agreed with the practice. I was just trying to explain it. Jessie's comment about the secular/sacred dichotomy is right on in my opinion. But evangelical culture is an odd bird, and it often needs some explaining.

George Edema said...

i knew you weren't agreeing with it. sorry if i came across argumentatively. i was laughing when i was writing, because i could just see you saying your comment. you are always so diplomatic. i hope i become more that way- that it's something to do with wisdom and maturity and not completely with personality and talent. i was just thinking about how you are that way tonight; (well, i notice it often) you are very gracious with people and groups that many of us with much less knowledge and experience are not half so gracious toward. so if trials are what produces character, maybe it's not so bad that we tend to share common trials :)

Abby said...

oh whoops, that was abby, not george!

Blog Archive