Sunday, January 04, 2009

Books- Getting Reacquainted

About this time last year, I began a short lived endeavor to read all of Jane Austen's shorter works. The problem with Jane Austen's shorter works is that most of them are unfinished. I lost interest pretty quickly after I got really into The Watsons only to have it end abruptly in the middle of the story. The other problem was that Amazon was unable to procure one of the titles that I requested. (More perfectionism revealed-) I then decided that if I couldn't read all of her shorter works, I wasn't so interested in reading the pieces I did have. And, like I said, I just don't read as much as I should. Homeschooling has reminded me that there is such a thing as a library. And there are these things called books at the library. I recently checked to see if the St. Louis County Library had the title that Amazon was unable to obtain for me, and they did. So these first four days of the year, after finishing Brighton Rock, I have been occupied by reading the pieces I set out to read this time last year. While it is disappointing to not have the story  one has invested oneself in come to some sort of happy and tidy conclusion, it is always enjoyable to read anything by Miss Austen. 

And I tried to make some sort of fun little list over yonder to show y'all all the books I have read already this year (you'll be so proud), but I cannot get the book cover images to load to be the same size. And well, that is just unacceptable. I will have to keep trying to figure it out. But I hope to have a nice little list for you sometime soon. Right now, it's too late for such trivialities. And I need to get some rest tonight for sure- homeschool begins again tomorrow! Maybe... Isn't that so like me to say something emphatically and with exclamation, and then the next second to be uncertain? Ha! Also very like me, and not at all unrelated, is the putting off of things until the last minute. Have I so much as looked at the shelf where our textbooks and teacher's manuals reside? No. Tomorrow's school day should be haphazard at best, if even existent at all! 

No comments:

Blog Archive