Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cold, With a Chance of Chili

It is 3 degrees right now in St. Louis! I think I will never get over the amazement of single digit temperatures. I almost think temperatures below zero would sound less strange. It's just funny to have a one syllable temperature- not "ninety-four" or "thirty-three," your typical three syllable temperatures, just "three." That's chilly! And speaking of it being chilly, I forgot to post my chili recipe this fall. I remembered because I made chili for the first time at the house on the hill tonight. We have guests! Our dear friends, the Fittses, are in for the weekend from Birmingham. It wasn't such an elegant meal to welcome them with, but I figured it would warm them up! It's nothing award winning with fancy booze or choice cuts of meat or anything, just a good solid, basic, salty-not-sweet chili that seems to please most. I found it the first year George and I were married in that old RTS cookbook I may have mentioned before. It's just this great old cookbook I got way back in my days of being an RUF intern from the RTS Jackson bookstore. It has a recipe for everything under the sun from one dear seminary wife or another who shared her favorites. Anytime I think about trying out a new recipe for a general dish (lasagna, waffles, chocolate chip cookies, etc.), I check my RTS book. I almost always find several samplings! I have grown out of it in some ways, moving on to Joy of Cooking and Cooks Illustrated as more "sophisticated" choices (if they even are- what do I know?), but I still find it quite the handy resource, and have yet to find a chili recipe that is quite so straightforward and palatably plain. Here it is, only slightly changed from how it was found nine years ago:

Kickin' Chili (that's what it said)
2 lb. ground turkey or beef
2 large onions, chopped
2 16oz. cans beef broth
4 14 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes (or whatever kind of tomatoes y'all like)
4 14 oz. cans kidney beans
1 small can of chopped green chiles
1 tsp. oregano
1T paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
-brown meat and add onions to soften. add the rest of the ingredients and simmer 1- 1 1/2 hours.

Sour Cream Cornbread (this from the cookbook from our church in Birmingham) I usually double this and omit the corn, which will require a longer cook time, but as you like it.
1c. self rising cornbread
1c. sour cream
1/2c. oil
2 eggs, beaten
1c. cream style corn
-mix all ingredients
-bake at 400 until golden brown about 20 minutes.

As I go to hit "publish post," I notice that the temperature is now "one." I can't help but chuckle.

1 comment:

Wright Family said...

Ooooh! We love chili and I have been searching for just the right simple recipe. AND, I was just at a restaurant with my Grandmother on Wed. and the bread they brought out was some sort of sour cream cornbread. I LOVED it. I think I had 3 big muffins before my meal came:) So, I am SO excited to try that recipe too! Thanks for sharing! Stay warm:)

Blog Archive