Sunday, January 25, 2009

Red Wine Recap

As I sit here with a glass (from Ikea! given to me by my sweet friend Jennifer) of Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon, aka Two Buck Chuck, I feel okay about sharing. It has been a truly wretched week in the life of Abby Edema, y'all. 55 hour work weeks after weeks and weeks and weeks of 15 hour work weeks will surely bring joy in two weeks when the checks are printed up, but during this first week, seven, five, and two year olds, not to mention thirty-one year olds, have a hard time adjusting. Something about stress and sadness is exhausting, isn't it? We did not expect the sudden employment, but we are, again, very grateful. However, an, in the end, untimely trip to Nashville had already been planned in which George was to meet friends and load a trailer with some more of our family's long lost belongings. (Little by little...) George is just now back from his weekend trip and a new 55 hour week starts tomorrow. But for now, peace. We are very grateful for the income we will soon have from George's new job. And even now, there are boxes in the garage waiting to be opened and unpacked. Possessions long forgotten will now reenter our daily lives and make us feel that much more at home during this time of displacement and uncertainty. 

And there is more. You may have been embarrassed for me with my pathetic little 9 sitting over there, showing the world that I have not run in over a week. It was a little embarrassing, I'll admit. Although, I have no idea how I would've gotten to a gym seeing as how I have been lucky to get homeschool finished before five and dinner on the table before nine any day this week! But I knew something was on its way that would make it easy to catch up to my goal. What could it be? I'll tell you. My mom's treadmill! She has offered it to me several times over the past few years and I never have been able to figure out a way to acquire it. That is definitely a silver lining in this whole thing, a way to pick up the treadmill! A small silver lining, but I'll take it. 

And there's more. "More?" you ask? Why yes, there's more. A puppy. A puppy?! Yep, that's what I said. Years ago we promised the children a puppy "after Daddy graduates." Little did we know, Daddy would graduate and be unemployed for eight months and wind up a janitor. But anyway, for obvious reasons, we haven't rushed out and found us a puppy. However, when George's good friend Matt had two free, inoculated, six week old lab puppies fall into his lap, we really couldn't think of a reason to say no. They tried to convince us to take both, but we decided that would just be too much. We may be crazy, but I'm not sure how much the puppy has to do with that. Anyway, I am not sure which puppy is ours in this picture, but maybe once I get to know her, I'll be able to tell. She's a little girl, and we have no idea what to name her. Any ideas? Since I'm making boscotti anyway, how about biscotti to whoever picks a name we like? Sky's the limit! 

14 comments:

the skocelai said...

If you're thinking of something whimsical, I like Gretel. Something pretty, I would choose Bella. But, you have always had such great names for your children that I'm not sure I can compete with what you would come up with. I just really want that biscotti! :)

Jessie said...

We are never gonna have a dog, but if we ever did we would name it Bama. So maybe you should go with Aubie or something like that. Adorable, by the way, I LOVE labs!

Wright Family said...

We love people names for dogs. The dog we got when we first got married we named Phil. We had friends with female dogs named Susie and Peggy. I thought Peggy was a great dog name:) Very cute puppies. How fun for y'all!

Abby said...

Okay, we must all be on the same wavelength! I was totally thinking Gretel would be the cutest name. And we did try to think of something Auburn-y too. I actually even pushed, in a nonchalant sort of way, for Hoot for Chi O (ha ha!!) But in the end, it does appear that the kids are really liking people names. Amabel is currently pushing for Susie. So weird that we would all be thinking the same things! Anyway, we're still not sure...

Abby said...

Oh, and Jessie, why won't y'all ever have a dog? I think I can guess, but I was just curious.

Tarah said...

I couldn't help but chime in... I love names! Here are a few: Madeline, Shadow (b/c she's black of course), Mykah, Fiona, Pearl...

jennifer h said...

Cute puppies. Great name suggestions, too. It is great that you're out there in the hinterland where Puppy will have some room to run as she gets bigger!

I will pray for you as you adjust to George being at work so much of the time. I wish I couldn't relate so well, again.

Wright Family said...

I remembered this morning that when I was 10 I had a black lab that I named Wilamena {I don't even know if that is the correct spelling! And I am not sure why I named her that!}

e.c. said...

I love the names Sally and Lucy...what a cute picture! We saw George with the puppy on a leash in the church parking lot as we were leaving....so great to have him there and wished I could have said more than a quick hello to him. Wish the whole Edema fam could have been there too :)

I will be praying for you this week as George works longer hours...yuck! That is hard, especially when it gets dark early and you still have many awake hours left with the kiddos by yourself!

annie said...

Clementine? Genevieve? Good luck with the puppy. :)

Nathan Barlow said...

I have a few suggestions, Boscoe, Hermy, Jane? Sorry, I stink at picking dog names.

Nathan Barlow said...

Wait, wait, wait! How about Milano, like the Peppridge Farm cookies with chocolate on them?

Abby said...

Those are cute, Nathan. I like Jane, and calling her Janie. Hermy could be short for Hermione! We have been trying to think of our favorite literary characters. And Annie, you wouldn't believe how hard I have been pushing for Clementine! No takers, though. I feel better that you like it too. Current top runners are Heidi and Polly. I don't think anyone is sold though, because we are still brainstorming.

lauren said...

gertie, maddie, beatrice, chloe, lola, maisey, ruby, maggie

(some of these were on my baby name lists, but i think they'd make a sweet puppy name too. :) )

Blog Archive