Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Don't Forget to Bring Kleenex with the Junior Mints

If no one has warned you already, when you go to see the movie Up, you will probably cry. It is great, but it has some really sad parts. Just so you know. Because I did not. And I wasn't quite prepared. George got a movie theater gift card for his birthday and decided to treat the family to a movie for Father's Day. I don't think we've all been to the movies since Ratatouille. Wait, did Elspeth even go to Ratatouille? I don't know; this may have been her first movie. Anyway, there we were, five minutes, ten minutes into the movie, and I was nearly weeping. And I had already almost ended up bawling during church that morning. 

See, now you're thinking it's me. I shouldn't have told you about church. But I was standing there before the final hymn, one that we often sing, and I made the mistake of glancing over at a friend who just lost her brother to cancer. And the hymn was, of course, about dead people. Well, that sounds rather blunt, doesn't it? It is one I really love, "For All the Saints." But it is about, as you know, "all the saints, who from their labors rest." Then, I started thinking of another friend who has lost three very treasured people all within a few months, and about people who have loved ones who are suffering, or "labor"ing, and close to death, and well, it was all very sad. I am actually a little teary even now as I try to look up a version for y'all to listen to on Youtube. But now I'm distracted because I am slightly amazed at how slowly some churches sing this song; it makes me quite grateful for our organist- and y'all know I don't like the organ! (The organist, yes; the organ, not so much.) Much to his credit, he plays this song better than I can find anywhere on our side of the world. I did find a delightful little British man of All Saints Church Oystermouth, a cute Jane Austenesque (nice word!) looking church, presumably in Wales, who plays quite the rendition, yet it leaves little room for vocals. And then there's this guy from Australia playing it on the church tower bells, which is quite lovely. From our side of the pond, I did find this one guy playing it on the guitar, and I thought that was cool. But it appears that if you must have an organ (and I'm all for a ban on organs), you ought to come to our church to hear it done well. Fair warning though, you may end up crying. Which brings us back to Up. And really, I didn't want to say much more about it except that it will make you cry.

Well, there is just one more thing... I was thinking about it as my children were watching a Charlie and Lola episode earlier. Charlie and Lola are in an orchard picking up apples and they start playing games where they throw the apples into the wheelbarrow or up into the air. And I felt very old as I found myself concerned over the bruising of the apples and not at all caught up in the merriment of the games. On closer inspection, I realized that the apples were all being picked up off the ground and likely not for anything but animals or composting (I know this from my time spent in apple orchards- you don't want the ones off the ground!), and then I was able to appropriately enjoy the episode. In Up, there are various Looney Tunes like scenes involving danger and pain which are meant for humor. While Looney Tunes places animals in these types of precarious situations, there are actual (or, computer animated- close enough) people in them in Up, and I found myself surprised at hearing the laughter of children in the theater while the child in the movie is repeatedly slammed into the side of a cliff. On the other hand, I'd rather them laugh than tense up and remind themselves it is just a movie as I was doing. This is the first time I've noticed this, actual evidence of being a grown up. And I'm not sure I like it. Nonetheless, there it is, I can no longer watch cartoons and suspend reality completely- talking dogs and flying houses are all completely acceptable, but once you start slamming kids into cliffs or throwing perfectly good apples at the side of a tree, I find myself unable to play along and actually get a little worried... for a minute, and then the giggling from my almost eight year old reminds me that the kid on the screen is actually a cartoon, and my kids are safely beside me enjoying a Father's Day outing. However, even if you can suspend reality in this way, you will still cry. You will. So just be prepared. 

2 comments:

Renee said...

Andy took the boys to see Up a week or so ago. He was distraught for days. He finally told me, "Yes, I think I'll pray that you go first. That way you don't have to be the one left behind." Weird, huh?

e.c. said...

We're going as a family tomorrow...very excited; we have heard rave reviews--thanks for the heads-up, though. I just saw "Meet the Robinsons" myself, yesterday. I tend to not watch kid's cartoon movies unless I'm forced to and I took Andrew to the free weekly movie at a community church in Franklin yesterday. Anyways, I was not prepared to be choking back tears in a room full of 150 moms and kids! I do tend to cry easily in movies, though :)

Blog Archive