Monday, July 20, 2009

Polenta Pancakes with Warm Berry Sauce

When my friend Jessie mentioned putting the wild raspberries she picked with her family to use with pancakes, I felt inclined to follow her lead. I am not sure if she made a sauce or put berries in the batter. I really wanted to make a sauce. After a search in cookbooks and online, I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com. They were amazing. We were already talking about who we could invite over to enjoy them with us next time before we even sat down at the table (we taste while we cook). I have one advantage over most of you, I think. My mother-in-law always buys me amazing cornmeal when she visits the Smoky Mountains. She has been to some really cool old mills and has twice brought home a sack of cornmeal for me that has been ground in front of her on a hundred year old millstone. The recipe may work just as well with Martha White, but I was glad to have my mother-in-law's gift on hand for this.

Pancakes
1 1/2 c. coarse ground cornmeal
2c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3T sugar
2 eggs, beaten
4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted

Sauce (I just used 1 1/2 c. each of raspberries and blueberries)
1c. raspberries
1c. blueberries
1c. blackberries
1/2c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2T cornstarch
1/4c. cold water

Directions
pancakes (note the "let rest for one hour" part):
-whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. fold in eggs and buttermilk. stir in melted butter. let rest for at least one hour.
-heat griddle to/over medium and make pancakes. keep pancakes warm in 200 degree oven.
sauce:
-combine berries, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
-in a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. add to sauce to thicken. stir until smooth and let simmer 2 to 3 minutes.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

girl - you know I didn't make a sauce - I just threw those things in there at the last minute!

Anonymous said...

sounds fabulous! waiting for the directions... :)
-wp

Blog Archive