Chocolate Ginger Cookies
makes 4 dozen (my recipe made even more)
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. Dutch processed cocoa
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
12T unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 c. dark unsulfured molasses
1T grated, peeled fresh ginger
sanding sugar for sprinkling (I have no idea what "sanding sugar" is. I used the white sugar from the Wilton 6 color Christmas sprinkle mix- not that you all have that sitting around...)
- whisk together flour, cocoa, spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- cream butter and sugar together on medium speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes. add egg, molasses, and ginger and mix until combined. add flour mixture and mix on low until just combined.
- halve dough and flatten into two discs, wrap in saran wrap, and refrigerate for one hour.
- roll discs out, one at time, to a quarter inch thickness. (if dough gets soft, stick it in the freezer to firm it up.) use 3 inch cutters to cut shapes, place cut dough on parchment lined baking sheets, and use a paring knife to score designs. sprinkle with sugar and place dough back in refrigerator for a few minutes to firm it back up (you may have to do this before cutting designs in if it has gotten too soft)
- bake at 325 for 11 minutes and cool on wire racks.