Saturday, December 05, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

This has been a pretty good birthday so far. Well, actually, I am in the process right now of canceling my birthday party for tonight because Elspeth has a fever. We hope to reschedule for next weekend though, which actually may work better for a few folks. I hope so because what am I going to do with all of these graham crackers and Hershey bars otherwise?

But it has been good anyway. I can never again say that I haven't ever been given a surprise party. My friend Marne and I went out for coffee on Tuesday night. She played it so cool that I even thought she may have forgotten our plans and emailed her Tuesday afternoon to see if we were still on. I went to pick her up and her kids were all still up and in need of care- it seemed like a totally normal night at anyone's house. We went to the coffee shop and ordered our drinks and went back to look for a table. And who was sitting at the table but five more of my favorite people, all there to celebrate my birthday before I had the chance to give myself a party this weekend! It was quite the surprise! My friend Annie made an amazing chocolate cake for us to share with our coffee, and everyone else bore some sort of other gift for me to take home- more chocolate, a super cute owl, and some home canned pumpkin pie filling (can't wait to try that!). I felt very loved. Additionally, gifts from my dear friends all over the country have been trickling in over the last couple of days, so I feel loved all the way from Nashville and New York City!

This morning I was greeted with lots of hugs and "happy birthday"s from my sweet children who colored me some really large, lovely birthday posters, and Sister Schubert cinnamon rolls. Does it get any better than that? When you add the Amy Grant Christmas album from 1983, it is pretty much as good as it gets! I grew up with that album, the one that opens with "Tennessee Christmas." George was good enough to get the CD for me for my birthday in spite of some very dated instrumentation. Who cares?! It's a classic! I also got a cozy pair of new pajamas. I haven't gotten any since I was pregnant with Elspeth, so I was due at least one new pair! These are festive and cozy without being exclusively "Christmas-y" which is good because one feels silly wearing ornaments and stockings in February!

I had set the rest of today aside for cooking and baking for the party, but it looks like that won't be necessary. The cleaning is done, the Christmas decorations are up (you're impressed, aren't you?!), so it looks like a pajama day with a good book is in order. I can totally get behind that. I just need to put some more coffee on. Hope y'all are having a happy day, whatever you are up to on this first Saturday of December- "the most wonderful time of the year."

6 comments:

Jessie said...

Yea!!! Happy happy day! Been thinking about you...LOVE YOU LOTS!

Wright Family said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!! I am so glad that your friends surprised you! Hope you have enjoyed your day.

e.c. said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Abby! What a fun surprise! Hope you get to celebrate again next weekend.

Love, Elizabeth

annie said...

Happy Birthday, Abby! I hope that you enjoyed your pajama day, too -- sounds like a good birthday to me. :)

courtney said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday!!!

RHB said...

Glad you had a fun birthday surprise party! Love you!

Blog Archive