Monday, December 07, 2009

An Interesting Find

I so don't understand why you hear the same twenty songs over and over and over and over again this time of year. There are so many good Christmas songs, but we have to hear "Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Winter Wonderland," and that awful "Feed the World" song (that's not actually what it's called. But you know, the one where Bono belts out "well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you!" What?!) without relief. Although I was late coming in on traditional American Christmas music, I thought that by now, I had heard, and could sing in my sleep, every Christmas song the light rock station turned Christmas station had to offer during this time of year. I distinctly remember the first time I heard the song "Let it Snow." It was during a Christmas chapel (chapel? "Let it Snow?") my Freshman year in high school. How did it take me so long to hear this song? It wasn't the only one that was new to me that Christmas. I knew the carols, even some of the less popular ones like "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus," "Infant Holy, Infant Lowly," and "Come on Ring Those Bells." Well, I have no idea if those are really less popular, but we don't sing them much, and they had significantly less Google results than any others that popped into mind. But the point is that I didn't know the "secular" Christmas stuff until much later- you know, because Jesus is the Reason for the Season. (And that's what my Christmas stocking said.) Still, by now, I know me some Christmas music. Because, as I said, it's the same songs again and again, with a sprinkling, from time to time, of something a little less overplayed. In the past few years, I have gotten to where I look forward to "It's a Marshmallow World." I have no idea why. I think it's funny or something. Anyway, today I heard a Christmas song I'd never heard before, not once, but twice! And it isn't really saying much to hear a Christmas song twice in one day since Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" alternates with John Lennon's "Happy Xmas" as the most annoying song played every half hour, but to have never heard the song in the first place, and then to hear it twice was just weird. Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who's never heard this, but just in case, here's the link to "Snoopy's Christmas" by the Royal Guardsmen.

5 comments:

The Rays said...

but does it get any better than Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You"?!!! Every time I hear this I think of you. Every time!!

Wright Family said...

But have you heard "R2D2 Christmas"? Seriously, I heard it really early the other morning on my way to the gym. I need to google it to see if it's real:)

Wright Family said...

Okay, here is the link. It's Bon Jovi! Who knew?!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&source=hp&q=r2d2+christmas+song&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=xMsdS5XoAs2UtgfExvSmCg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQqwQwAA#hl=en&source=hp&q=r2d2+christmas+song&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=xMsdS5XoAs2UtgfExvSmCg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQqwQwAA&qvid=r2d2+christmas+song&vid=8449132860900513528

Abby said...

Rebekah!!! That is hilarious! And bizarre! Were you just cracking up in your car? "Our chimney's big and round so you can come right down!" There's another one called "What Can You Get a Wookie for Christmas When He Already Owns a Comb." It's from an album called Christmas in the Stars. How funny!

barlow said...

So glad you had a good birthday. My best memory of a birthday was in college when Ann had a bunch of friends come to Little Dooey's (a barbecue restaurant) and surprise me with a little impromptu party. Have a good Christmas.

Blog Archive