Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Little Horror on the Prairie

George has been out of town yesterday and today to look for houses for us in Iowa. The problem is, he hasn't found one! Yikes! We have a big family and a not-so-big budget. Plus, the university and church are in a sort of nice area. If there is something that happens to be in our budget, it usually turns out to be student housing. So it looks like we're going to go small. And I don't mind small so much- there's less to clean! And there's less to decorate in small houses too. I think it is much easier to have a cute, small home. We have been blessed to live in a very large home for the last two years, which is nice and roomy for entertaining and for accomodating energetic children. But in the day to day, it has always felt rather empty to me. It is a really lovely home, but it is too big for me to manage in a lot of ways. Y'all can remind me I wrote this when I am feeling packed like sardines this winter! We're still looking, but we sort of need to hurry up.

Anyway, the point of my post is that since George went out of town and took our laptop with him, I ended up reading and watching a little television last night instead of catching up on emails, online shopping, or watching something on Hulu or something or another dot com. We only have the antenna, so we don't pick up many channels out here, and especially not when it's raining like it was yesterday. There is a random "Christian" channel that we pick up that shows Little House on the Prairie from time to time. I have seen the title on the blue bar when I flip channels in the past, but I have never stopped to watch it. But last night, there was nothing on, so I stopped and watched a little LHOP. (I felt like Sawyer.)

Oh my goodness, y'all. It is really bad! The acting is really bad. The hair, as we always knew, is really bad. The story lines are horrendous! We also always knew that there were only about two episodes that even remotely resembled Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, but I suppose I always thought they were nice little family episodes about pioneer living even if they did veer from Mrs. Wilder's original series. She would be spinning in her grave if she knew what I watched last night had the same title and main characters as her beloved books (and her own family!)! I saw an episode last night about Albert's girlfriend (right, girlfriends in the 1870's- also, at least Albert was not a real person from the books or Wilder's life) being raped and getting pregnant. What in the world?! It's like it was the era of after school specials and they made what was ostensibly a period drama into a weekly public service announcement for kids in the early 80's. What is even the point of having them live in log cabins and ride in wagons if their behavior and situations paralleled an entirely different era? Not that teenaged girls couldn't have been attacked back then, just that the whole town knew about it and thought it was Albert's baby because she was his girlfriend and of course, the Ingalls were very progressive in how they handled the situation. Goodness gracious!

Well, I saw last week (before last night's unfortunate viewing) that both Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary) and Alison Arngrim (Nellie Olsen) have both recently come out with books about their experience on Little House on the Prairie. Melissa Sue Anderson's is entittled The Way I See It, and has received sort of mediocre reviews on Amazon because it isn't very juicy. It sounds like it is more or less a pleasant stroll down memory lane. Arngrim is evidently a standup comic now, and her book, Confessions of a Prairie Bitch, was released yesterday. Given the choice, I'd undoubtedly pick Arngrim's book (could you have guessed that?), but I doubt I'll do more than flip through either one of them. I'd link you to them so you can take a look at them on Amazon, but this crazy PC is not doing what I want it to do. Can't wait to get the MacBook back tonight! George will be home a little late though- dare I check in to see what's going on in Walnut Grove tonight? I'll let you know if I do.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

So sorry! Will keep praying. And let me know if you end up needing tips on how to live in 900 sqaure feet with 3 kids again...;0)

Blog Archive