Monday, June 21, 2010

More Recipes

Well, we did a couple of appetizer-ish recipes last time with the salsa and guacamole, but here's a few more.

Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
2 (6oz) packages baby spinach
1T butter
1 (8oz) package cream cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14oz) can artichokes hearts, drained and chopped
1/2c. sour cream
1/2c. shredded mozzarella, divided
- microwave spinach in large bowl for 3 minutes or until wilted. drain and chop.
- melt butter in skillet. add cream cheese and garlic. cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. fold in spinach, artichokes, sour cream, and 1/4 c. mozzarella; stir until cheese melts.
- transfer mixture to a 1 qt. baking dish. sprinkle with remaining cheese.
-bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. serve immediately with chips or baguette slices.

Aunt Laurinda's Cheese Ring
This is a recipe my friend Rebekah made last time we went to the River House. It looks sort of random on paper, but it tastes so so yummy.
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4c. mayonnaise
1c. pecans, chopped
1-2T minced onion
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. Tobasco
-mix all ingredients together and put in a mold. cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days before serving.
-serve with crackers and raspberry preserves (isn't that what we had Bek?)

Cheese Straw
This is from the Oaklands cookbook. Oaklands is my ancestral family home in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. My sister was married on its front porch about eight years ago. For the hospitality bags for the out of town guests at the wedding, I made about a kazillion of these cheese straws, another kazillion pralines, and another kazillion loaves of banana bread, all from recipes in the same cookbook. I sent some of my wares to my sister-in-law who was brand new in the Deep South just then, going through Rush at Auburn the very same week. She fell in love with these Southern delights and has frequently requested that I make them again. I misplaced the recipe for a while and just as I have found it again, I will be taking my recipe box and moving far away from Dear Katie Sue. I'll try to mail them from time to time as I did in days gone by, but here's the recipe for her and all of you, for those times when you just can't wait.
2c. flour
2T salt
1 lb. sharp grated cheddar
2 tsp. red pepper
1/4 lb. butter, softened
-cream butter and cheese, add salt, pepper, and 1 and 1/2c. flour.
-add last 1/2c. flour by hand.
-you can roll these out and cut them, use a cookie press, or shape them into balls and press them down with a fork like peanut butter cookies- pretty much whatever shape you like (I prefer long, thin rectangles with either ridges from a fork or little holes from a fork- you really should use a fork somewhere in there, though I have also used a cookie press from time to time).
-bake on parchment lined cookie sheets for 10 minutes at 425

Pralines
This is also from the Oaklands cookbook. Work quickly.
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2c. brown sugar
3/4c. cream or evaporated milk
1/4 c. water
2T butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4c. pecans
-combine first four ingredients and cook in a heavy bottomed saucepan until "softball stage" (238-240 degrees).
-add butter and vanilla and beat until creamy.
-add 2 cups of pecans and mix in. add the last 2 cups and mix in.
-turn pralines out on waxed paper and let cool slightly to set- so so yummy when still warm!

Banana Bread
Another from the Oaklands cookbook.
3/4 lb. butter, softened
3c. sugar
3 eggs
6 large, ripe bananas
4 1/2c. flour
3 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1c. sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
-cream butter and sugar.
-add other ingredients in order
-bake for one hour at 350

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Can you post some good - no bake/entree stuff? I know that's really specific, but I am not planning to turn on my oven for the next 2 months, but am still required to feel my family! Thanks in advance ;-)

Jessie said...

That would be feed my family, not feel them. Definitely not feel them in this heat!

Fittsy said...

These look yummy. I think I"ll try your banana bread with yogurt subbed for the sour cream.

Stephen LOVES cheese straws, and I've never made them. I'll give them a go sometime soon too!

e.c. said...

These do look delish! The cheese ring thing was served at our wedding reception, but with strawberry preserves, I believe.

Blog Archive