Friday, July 23, 2010

Moving Status Update- The Final Chapter (sort of)

Well, here we are in Des Moines (don't know a nickname, but I did find the translation: "of the monks"). We've been here a few days and are slowly getting settled. I think we're really going to like it here. Everyone has been amazingly welcoming with moving help, meals, and thoughtful extras (someone brought us muffins, someone else brought a church directory, two people thought of things like TP and paper towels and trash bags before we moved in, several people have left their phone numbers in case we "need anything"). And the town is really nice. There are lots of charming old homes (kind of like the one we're in) and sidewalks everywhere. I've already hunted out a Target, a library, and a grocery store. The grocery store is a mile away. A mile, y'all! People are outside on bikes, running, strolling, or driving by at all hours. It's a beautiful thing.

When I visited Arkansas, I jumped every time a car drove by. I would ask my sister, "who's here?" She would just laugh and tell me that it was just people driving through the neighborhood- a totally normal thing for almost everyone but completely foreign to me after living at the house on the hill. For two years, if I heard a car, it meant someone was coming to see me. I wondered if I wouldn't have to really get used to the sound of cars driving by again. It's been a welcome sound, and one I hear often enough that it hasn't taken getting used to at all. However, when I am walking by a window and see a car, I still sort of wonder who it is. Then I remember that I don't know anyone in Iowa and that we live on the corner of a four way stop.

Well, I need to get back to the unpacking, but I'd love to catch up with anyone who wants to chat. Here's the thing though, no one knows my new phone number. That's because I don't know it. And I can't call anyone because I have yet to unpack my phone directory. Soooo, if you'd like to catch up, just email me your phone number and then I'll call you, and then you'll have my new number in your caller ID so you can call me sometime too. Otherwise, just keep checking back here. I'll try to be posting more regularly again soon.

6 comments:

Our family said...

yay! yay! yay! it sounds like kind people and sidewalks in a charming house! i am praying for y'all as you settle and that this would be a time that you look back on with really great memories. i've been thinking of y'all a lot this week and have been praying for you when i run {still always think of you when i run.} love y'all! can't wait to hear more.
love,
rebekah

Our family said...

that was supposed to be AND a charming house not that the sidewalks are IN your house:)

Annie H. said...

Hi Abby,
Thanks for the update. We have been praying for you as well. Glad you are in Iowa safe and sound. Post pictures of your cute house for us. I'm excited for you and your new adventure.
Annie H.

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! So glad to hear y'all are there and getting settled. Very thankful for the welcome y'all have received so far, and that it's a town with enough everyday conveniences to keep life from getting tedious. Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers often. Will send you my number...would love to finally chat! :)

Love, Elizabeth

Rebecca Brown said...

Always reading--so thankful for a good update! Miss knowing you're here, even if we didn't see each other much. Keep the stories coming!

jennifer h said...

Glad to read all the updates and that you are there and settling in. You are all in our prayers.

Blog Archive