Monday, August 09, 2010

Really Bad Photography of Our Really Beautiful Neighborhood- Eastward Edition

George and I have been sharing the computer lately, so I haven't had as much of a chance to blog. He takes the computer to the office and the kids and I continue our exploration of our new hometown. I have gotten lost a lot! But Iowa makes sense. When there's a storm and we see the storm warning map in the corner of the television, the counties are all lined up in perfect rows like a quilt. Once you get west of the Mississippi, I suppose that is somewhat common- the states are lined up in rows too- but for some reason, Missouri's counties were all jigsawed liked they are in the South. Anyway, all that to say, like the state's, the city's layout is very sensible for the most part. So when I get lost, I just look for a street with a number (like 52nd) and count blocks until I get to the number I need to find. The number streets run north and south all through town so I can always eventually find my way home. I sound totally helpless I know. I really can't imagine ever knowing where in the world anything is here! But I'm sure I felt that way about St. Louis at one point too.

We have continued our neighborhood walks without getting lost though. I took these pictures last Thursday and am just now getting the chance to put them up. That day, we walked out and went to the right, in an easterly direction, and here's what we saw:


Up one block and then eastward about nine is this fun little place, Woody's Smoke Shack. There's live music right there on that patio on the right. It's bluesy and lively- I can't wait to get the chance to go hang out there some night! I wonder if the BBQ up here is anything worth having. I mean, we can't expect it to taste like Memphis or anything, but it could be quite tasty. From the smell of this place, that's definitely a possibility!


Here's another little local eatery, the Drake Diner. It reminds me of Tiger Time, and, as you may know, any time is Tiger Time! Can their milkshakes possibly compare? We shall have to see! The university is almost right across the street from here, and that's why there's a little more commercial property this way. It's all very fun and college-y and local though. I can imagine this diner has something that's high calorie and delicious for me to discover one night at two in the morning- anyone want to come?


Across the street from the diner is a church where a farmer's market sets up every Thursday evening. We took our bags and hoped to find some goodies, but it wasn't much to speak of that night. Still, it's nice to know it's there if we need it. The farmer's market downtown on Saturdays is phenomenal, a post of its own, so I think I'm just already spoiled.




Another two blocks further east, and we find a great spot for a rest, and then some more play.


I am amazed at the energy these kiddos have! They're red faced from the ride over, but aren't they the cutest?! Elspeth got up there all by herself!


And here's my favorite little boy in all the world. He's just lost his top front tooth, but you can't tell in the picture. I just thought I'd post the picture because it's my boy.


This is the church right across from the park. It's an old Presbyterian church of sorts, but I don't know anything about it. I took this picture, the picture of the entrance to the park, and the next picture all from the same spot. It's a little five points of sorts, I guess. Beyond it is the interstate and then downtown. I suppose we could just keep on walking, but we headed home after some playground time.


Downtown Des Moines is not very impressive in terms of skylines, but it really is cool. I'll do that post of the Farmer's Market sometime soon so you can get an idea of what it's like.



This is why I didn't post any house pictures for this post. While there are a few cute ones, the houses tend to look more like this on the way eastward because we're getting closer to the university. I think most of the houses over this way are occupied by college students or lower income families. This is the typical house on the streets to the east. There are also a few apartment buildings and laundromats, but none of it is particularly pretty or blog worthy- even the swankier college apartments, who cares?



I did have to post this one though. I just can't believe how often I see a house with all of this going on! I think that Hoarders show could film four episodes within half a mile of my house alone!


And look at this! These people have a boat beside their house! I think we have successfully ventured from the charming to the strange and unattractive, but I didn't want y'all to think I'm all high society and hoity toity now. I live down the street from hoarders and people with a rusty old boat in their yard! That's why I'm glad these signs are all over the place:



Okay, so I'm not really concerned about strange goings ons, I just like that there are owl signs all over the place! It sure beats the usual creepy looking neighborhood watch signs with the burglars in black on them!

I'm sure there are so many other fun places over there by the diner. I know I saw a cute little flower shop. Once I really go to some of these places and know what's what, I'll be able to post more about them and get some pictures that are more than just the outsides of buildings. But for now, all I know is the outside of buildings, and I thought y'all might like to know what we've been looking at as we explore our little area.

6 comments:

Brittnie said...

Abby! Your children have faces! All this time I've been reading- I've never seen a picture of your kids (or you!)- how fun to see them!

I do have to say, I've really only been through Iowa a few times and to it once (and that was to a farm town for a wedding and we only stayed the day) but Des Moines looks so cute and character-y. You somehow make it even, dare I say, appealing. Yuck. That was hard to type. ;-)

Thanks for sharing Des Moines! I'm excited to see how it changes a bit when everyone returns to campus and it fills up with college students again. :-D

Our family said...

Yay, yay, yay! I love getting to see where you live:) It looks wonderful and I love that you can walk so much--so happy! And, your children are gorgeous...I think it's been 2 years since I've seen them? So grown up! Thanks for sharing your pics!
love you,
rebekah

Jessie said...

Yes - the best pic is the one with the kids! They are so big and cute!

Fittsy said...

Amabel's hair is so short and cute! Is yours short now too?

Thanks for more of a tour. I fear we'll never see it in person...but maybe one day!

R

Jandy said...

I can't believe how big your kids have gotten! I think I must've left St. Louis about the time the youngest was born, though, so it makes sense they'd be big. :)

Bec said...

Of course your neighborhood watch sign has owl eyes.....HOOTY-HOOT!

Blog Archive