Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's Probably Weird But

I love the hoarders shows. I'm not sure why. But I think it may be the redemptive quality of cleaning all of the mess up and helping a person through their pain in a very visible way. So many emotional issues manifest themselves in intangible ways that we never fully know, but when a person's pain compels them to hold on to everything so tightly, and then they are finally able to let go, it's like healing you can see. For many people, their internal landscape probably looks a lot like the inside of the hoarder's home, but we never see their mess in any measurable way. And if they work through their issues, we never see it "cleaned up." And we certainly don't see it go from one extreme to the other in an hour. The hoarding shows provide us with remarkable strides in personal growth in a one hour time slot! As with any kind of pain, some of the stories end sadly- some of the people aren't able to heal. But there's always the hope, while you are watching, that you will see the person freed and transformed. It's like Common Grace on steroids. How does the song go? "I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time... It's getting better all the ti-i-ime (better better better)." I like it when I can see that. Hoarders be healed! But do it on camera so I can be encouraged too!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Long time no contact! I just caught up on your blog a bit. Though I haven't been in touch, I've thought of you and prayed for you often. It seems from reading your posts, you are doing well. Have a great week, and Happy Spring!

Abby said...

Oh, yea! Hey, Jennifer! So so great to hear from you! Send me a note to let me know how y'all are doing if you get the chance!

Blog Archive