Friday, March 11, 2011

Recipe Eleven in the Eleventh Hour on the Eleventh

Make a wish! Did you used to do that on the clock? 11:11 or 2:22 or whatever? Somehow, I think I sort of trusted that it would eventually work or else why did I do it every single hour? And you know, it was super exciting on November eleventh or February 22nd. So so silly. I really was a very silly girl really up until I got married. I'm not even sure that grew me up, but at some point, I did stop wishing on clocks....

George is out of town for his licensure exam this weekend and left me the computer. I may actually have time to put the last two days of Christmas up! Can you believe this? Of course you can, because it's me. But it is so pathetic that it is halfway through March and I am not finished with Christmas yet! I made the recipe from day number 12 for Valentine's Day, so we may be able to finish up with Valentine's Day too! It's me though- let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Lately, I have spent all of the time I have had with a computer available to me listing stuff on ebay. I am really quite excited about all of the stuff I am selling- all of my maternity clothes, my discontinued and incomplete set of silverware, some spring and summer kids' clothes, and other odds and ends. I will let y'all know how much I make after it's all over. It's really more about lightening my load than making money. I am determined that our next move (to who knows where) is going to be easier than the move here. We're finally chucking our ten year old desktop computer. I have other stuff in mind for Craigslist, and I am giving a lot of our baby gear to our upstairs neighbor who is due with her first baby any day. Then there's the rummage sale at church next month, and don't forget that as soon as I'm finished with the school year, I can sell all of my homeschool stuff! Hurray! My children think it's very amusing to witness my strange delight in getting rid of stuff. You probably do too.

And now to get rid of the task of typing these recipes! I hope this eleventh recipe isn't disappointing. It's one that I have wished I had on my blog for years. When all of my recipes were packed up in storage, I figured pretty much all of my essentials were online somewhere. But I couldn't find my pie recipe because it is from an out-of-print cookbook from the early nineties. It is likely the recipe I have been making for the longest (with the possible exception of the Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe), every Thanksgiving since ninth grade.

Pecan-Chocolate Chip Pie
5T unsalted butter
1c. light corn syrup
1/3c. packed light or dark brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
1 1/4c. pecan halves
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- position a rack in the center of oven and preheat to 375
- bring butter just to a simmer in a medium-sized, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. continue simmering 1 to 2 minutes longer, stirring, until butter solids turn light brown. immediately move from burner. pour about half of butter into a heat-proof cup and reserve. stir corn syrup, sugar, slat, and vanilla into butter left in the pan until well blended and smooth. beat eggs into mixture using a fork.
- spread pecans, then half of chocolate chips into pastry shell. slowly pour egg mixture over top. sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over top. (at this juncture, I usually straighten up the pecans and make it look all pretty, but that is not necessary). drizzle reserved browned butter over surface.
- bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes until golden browned and puffy on top. transfer to wire rack and let cool. store refrigerated for up to five days (best breakfast ever? this pecan pie, cold, the day after Thanksgiving. mmmm...). serve at room temperature or cool with freshly whipped cream.

Pate Brisee - I think it's bizarre that I have never put this pie crust recipe up before. It is the only recipe I ever use for both savory and sweet pies. It's so easy and tasty, why try anything else? This comes to us from The Martha Stewart Cookbook. It makes one double crust or two single crust 9-10 inch pies.

2 1/2c. all purpose flour (use bleached, not unbleached for this one)
1 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, cut into pieces
1/4c. - 1/2c. iced water

- in the bowl of a food processor, combine flour and salt. add butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8-10 seconds.
- with machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube. pulse until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; but be careful not to process for more than 30 seconds. to test, squeeze dough together- if it is crumbly, add more ice water.
- divide dough into two pieces. fatten each piece into a disc and wrap with plastic wrap. transfer to refrigerator and chill at least one hour. dough may be stored in freezer for up to one month (I recommend putting wrapped disc in a freezer bag to keep it protected).


No comments:

Blog Archive