Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Double Stuffed Vacation

Well, I was hoping it was hormonal, but I'm already "feelin' different again." Lucky for me and for my family, I am embarking on an adventure tomorrow. George keeps calling it my adventure. He gets more excited for me about these things than I do sometimes. I think he just wants me to be me. And of course, when I find myself, I'm beyond excited. But it's the getting there that overwhelms me. Today I had some "Mickey Mouse" errands to do (that's what you call all those little things that you have to do all over the place) and I felt like I may or may not, but probably would, have an anxiety attack at any moment. And I don't know why. I feel like the weirdest person in the room most of the time (and since it is often just George and the kids in the room with me, there is good reason for it). And yes, I realize that is horribly self absorbed of me, but what can I do? Everyone else is cuter and cooler and way less awkward. Am I right? I mean, once again, my post is proving just how awkward I can be!!! I really should find that delete blog button...

Anyway, I think my adventure will do me good. I'm going to Chicago! And not only that, but I am going with one of my top ten favorite people of all time :) I mean, who really has a top ten? I have been thinking about it though because one of my other top ten favorite people is dying right now. I decided that I have a top ten list of family -because with three kids and a husband and two sisters and a Nannie and a mom, you're pretty much full before you even leave the family tree- and then another top ten of just super awesome people not related to me that I wish came in pocket sized versions so I could carry them around with me. Rebekah is one such person. And since she isn't pocket sized (though, compared to me, almost), I will just have to settle for meeting her for a few days on the town in the Windy City. I'm very excited! Just thinking about it makes me feel way less losery. Good friends are like that, just being around them makes you feel good. Because hey, if they are as cool as they are and they still choose to be friends with you, then you must not be the walrus with the painfully awkward social habits that you imagine you are. Or perhaps they are just that charitable? I don't know.

But anyway, I am sure I will have lots of good posting to do when I get back. However, I will only be back for two days before heading out on another adventure, the first ever vacation of the Hawkins sisters and their husbands and children. This should be interesting, to say the least. We got a great deal on a huge, cozy cabin on some river in Arkansas (how hard would it be to look up? not very. but let's just go with "some river"). We'll be doing some fishing, some game playing, some hiking, lots of good eating, and plenty of catching up. I haven't seen my older sister in over four years!

After all of that, perhaps I will feel better. That is, if I can get over the fact that I'll be hanging out with tall blonde(ish) beauty queens for almost two weeks! I can always offer my wit though. Eh? Eh? Yes, I definitely fear that this is going to be one of those times where people look at me and mine and wonder "who invited all these tacky people?" But I like to think of it like I let people feel free to be who they are. Because, after all, if Abby is over there being all awkward, odd, and gaudy (ya like that? it's called assonance- heh), then hey, maybe they'll feel awesome by comparison. You're welcome, world.

5 comments:

Jessie said...

I really was laughing at this. will be in touch for real soon. in the meantime, have fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Have so much fun and I can't wait to see y'all. You're a dork for calling yourself a walrus :) but quite funny as usual. We look forward to our Edema time as usual. Sarah

Ann said...

I hope that you have a great time!!

courtney said...

I lost your blog on my other computer, so, I've tried to catch up with you a bit. Good to "hear" your voice again, friend.

Courtney

Renee said...

Post pictures of the vacay!! Would love to see all of you together!

Blog Archive