Friday, April 01, 2011

A "Holiday" for Humor

Was that post that boring?! I mean, I know people don't check every day. And really, what are you going to say about Valentine crafts at the end of March? I just put it off for so long because I knew it would be such beast to publish. And it was. So I was hoping someone would say something pleasant. But if I want that, why don't I just go on Facebook? I know, I know, it's my own fault!

So I'm changing the subject. It's April Fool's Day. And it's not a day I generally observe because I'm not much of a prankster. For a while in college, George and I had a back and forth where we hid a potato in each other's residence or vehicle. It went on until the potato was completely shriveled up. At one point, George decided to coat the exterior with glue to keep it from rotting. I am still not sure why he thought it needed a gluey "protectant." And he may have somehow written the words "special treasure" on the potato too. We certainly referred to it as "the special treasure." And then I think he threw it away one day and that was the end of it. That was as pranky as it ever got for me.

I don't really have any other prank stories. I did have a friend once who broke up with her boyfriend on April Fool's Day without realizing that it was April Fool's until he said, "April Fool's, right?" and it became this slow, painful situation where she had to convince him that she wasn't kidding. I don't think he really believed her until the next day. Bummer.

But maybe April Fool's Day is mostly about having a laugh, and not necessarily at someone else's expense. I can totally get behind that. And with that in mind, I've seen the SNL promos this week with Elton John and Jason Sedakis running around to the Benny Hill Yakety Sax music, and it's made me want to find some of those old chase scenes. Oddly, I haven't been able to find any of the classics, but people on YouTube have been rather clever in cueing up their favorite chase scenes from movies to the music. The first one I saw was Gandolf and all the hobbits being chased. Something about Gandolf's flowing white hair was pretty funny set to the music. Too many of the scenes on YouTube are of battles rather than chases (and way too many still have the movie sound in them with Yakety Sax just playing over top). Get it right, people! Supposedly, "anything" is funny if you put it to that music, but I disagree. Chases though, they stay true to the original comedy. Anyway, if you too get a kick out of wasting your time in the manner, I recommend this one of an actual high speed police chase. And if you really must have more, this one from Star Wars is a little funny at first- it goes on a little too long and has a lot of battle in it (though a lot of chase as well- Stormtroopers in fast motion are actually kind of amusing).

3 comments:

Our family said...

I love your crafts!!! Really! They are very cute. And I love that y'all hid a potoato:) My roommates and I used to hide a garden gnome. Sometimes he would be in my bed and sometimes I would get in the shower and he would be right there. It was very funny. We ended up sending him in one roommate's bag for her honeymoon a few years ago. I wish y'all still had your potato!

Renee said...

Abby,
Hi! Hope you are well. I've been hearing your name tossed around so much lately- Whitney, Harris/Laura Beth-wanted to come by and visit your blog. I would love to catch up with you! Did I tell you that when Laura Beth and Harris told us you all had visited I had this crazy idea that maybe George was interviewing for a job at Knollwood? (This is before I knew how small the church was and that there was probably no need for another staff member due to small size.) I freaked out. I imagined for a minute what it would be like for you all to live here and I freaked. So, so sad that it was all a silly misunderstanding. Praying for you today. After just moving I truly HATE it that you are having to readjust so often. I can not imagine the difficulty/challenge it brings.

barlow said...

Hi Abby - hope you guys are well. I always get to talk to George, but haven't talked to you in so long. I love your page background! We're doing fine. Things are interesting at Resurrection - visitors, the garden, etc. We could use some Edemas around here! Hope to see you soon.

Blog Archive