Thursday, December 29, 2011

I hope y'all had a merry Christmas. I thought a lot this year about how rotten my attitude was toward church on Christmas morning. It was shameful, really. We don't want to go sit in church with other believers on the greatest day of the year, we want to sit home in our pajamas and drink coffee? Well, to tell you the truth, I'd almost always rather sit home in my pajamas and drink coffee than go to church on Sunday morning- but the 10:45 start time makes it less brutal than it could be :) Anyway, I think the solution is ultimately to have church every Christmas, not just when it's on Sunday. Because if it was part of our Christmas tradition, we wouldn't think anything of it. But it just sort of throws a wrench in things when, every few years, we have to forego the brunch or the lazy family time around the fire or whatever it is because we have to get ready and go to church. Let's just have it be part of the way it goes every year! Because really, what better place is there to be on Christmas morning than among the people of God in the place he has set up for us to gather to him?

I don't know if the idea will ever catch on, but I came across this article today and it seems like I am not the only one who thought a lot about this this year.

6 comments:

churnock said...

I've been a part of a few churches that have a service on Christmas day (no matter what day it falls on) and it is great. I don't see a reason not to have a worship service on Christmas (or thanksgiving for that matter).

Abby said...

Our church in st. louis had a Thanksgiving service every year and we always enjoyed going. I think it is a great idea!

barlow said...

Merry Christmas, Abby!

Anonymous said...

That is what Lutherans do, I believe. We have a friend in Houston that grew up Lutheran, and he said it was always brutal as a child when Christmas was on a Saturday, b/c you would go to church on Christmas Eve, then on Christmas Day, then of course, the next day on Sunday! I thought that was funny! :)

Elizabeth C.

e.c. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
e.c. said...

Just read the article you linked to...great points made; especially liked this quote: "I knew America was materialistic and all, but I can’t believe people would rather stay at home to open presents than go to church on their holiest day of the year!” Ouch!"

Ouch, indeed.

Blog Archive