Thursday, July 09, 2015

What I Learned From Summer Reading

I'm over halfway through my summer reading as I begin this post. And I've already learned something. The obvious thing is that I don't like most of the books I have read. And that is kind of a bummer. I have read many of them simply because they were on my list and I needed to check them off, so to speak. But I walked into some of them doubting that I would like them from the get go.
I was already pretty sure that I didn't like nonfiction and that I didn't like anything to do with World War II. Now, I am certain. So, the first two lessons should have been no brainers for me. And, I must say, my dear husband is delighted to know I will be guarding my heart in the following three ways.

1) I will not, repeat not, read anything about World War II again unless I want to, on my own, without pressure or even well intended suggestion from anyone else. It's disturbing to me. I realize that's the point. The events that took place were horrific and it is good and right that they are written about for all to read and know about so that they are never repeated. Absolutely. But my fragile heart (is it Hugh Grant who talks about his fragile heart in Notting Hill?) cannot take anymore. It's too much. It really happened. And I can't bear to dwell on it, to live it again and again through various characters, however fictional they are. It's too tragic. It's too much. I find myself talking myself out of this "but so and so liked it," "but I'm sure it's a beautiful/powerful story," "but everyone else is reading it," etc. I don't care. I am not everyone else (look at that! I sound like I'm being my own mom!). I can't handle the places my mind goes, the fear and the injustice and the helplessness, and, all too often, the almost-ness -- it's all too much for me. I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Somehow, that had me separated enough from the horrors of horrors that I thought maybe I had matured out of this whatever it is. But this is where I am.

2) Nonfiction, in general, is boring to me. I just can't make myself enter into a world from however many years ago, whether ten or two thousand, all too often written by a historian who is overly confident in the appeal of the facts apart from any real human interest story. Oh the time I have wasted on biographies! How was I a history minor? How?! I think I'm going to have to blame it on my high school history teacher, my fifth grade history teacher (who was actually a long term sub for my real fifth grade history teacher), and one of my college core history teachers. In that order. Somehow, they had a knack for stories. The fifth grade sub drew me in. She lit the fire. But it would've burnt out if not for my high school history teacher, who was, incidentally, a complete jerk- a jerk who told stories very well. And after four years of listening to him tell these great stories, it only took one really great college lecturer to reinforce what I thought was true. I loved history! But you know? I don't really. I didn't even really do very well in most of my history classes.

I think what it must be for me is that I do often find a survey of history to be rather intriguing, but when it gets down to brass tacks, when it gets down to individuals and the particulars of events, I am not any more interested than I am in present day individuals and events.  I never watch the news. I never read tabloids or follow celebrity gossip. Every now and then some celebrity or another pulls me in- usually the royal family, but sometimes if a celebrity couple is getting divorced, I get sad and hopeful that they'll work it out! And sometimes I get pulled in by the biopic. Oh, how George hates the biopic. I am beginning to share his feelings. I was surprised how much I hated the book A Beautiful Mind after I saw the movie A Beautiful Mind. The movie made me care about John Nash by painting him as very sympathetic character, but the book exposed him as a much, shall we say, yuckier person than the movie would lead us to believe. Similarly, Julie and Julia painted Julia Child as an all around delightful and positive person, but Julia's biography My Life In France left me feeling quite differently about her.  I just read Jack, a biography about C.S. Lewis. While I would never say he was yucky, he was certainly duller than I imagined. In some ways, that's an encouragement. He certainly didn't realize how he would reach people for generations to come. Any one of us could be doing Kingdom work that reaches much farther into the future than we realize! On the other hand, reading about an old fuddy duddy who liked walks, but only certain kinds of walks, and beer, but only certain kind of beers, and kind of lived very much like a hobbit, failed to charm me but more kind of made me sad because I don't think Lewis and I would've gotten along well at all. I'm sure we will be great friends when we do meet! But I don't like to think of scenarios where we would not have had anything much to say to one another or enjoyed one another's company at all!

3) I am henceforth free, even encouraged, to stop a book at any point after deciding that I don't like the book. Page 33? Yes. Page 133? Yes! Page 233? By all means! Cut your losses! Why do I force myself to finish? I have never been able to give up on a book. Truth be told, I have always been told I am loyal to a fault and have never been able to give up on much of anything-- horrible boyfriends and cheeseburgers included (if it's not enough for a whole other meal, might as well finish!)


Oh, and one thing I already knew is that I like happy books. I'm a romcom girl through and through. I will not be content with a dopey, sappy, slapped together romcom though. It has to work.  It has to be realistic enough that I really believe these people belong together and will stay together. With that in mind, I have also adopted a second summer reading list that I have been spacing between the books I am not enjoying from the original summer reading challenge. This list also comes to us from Modern Miss Darcy. It is her Beachy Novels subcategory from her 2015 Summer Reading Guide.


1) Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos- oddly, this one had caught my eye in the past so her recommendation seemed almost like an affirmation of my original inclination. I liked it. It had some less than satisfactory resolutions in it. But ultimately, I decided I bought everything. Or at least I would play along. There were things not to like for sure, but I very much liked the characters. I thought the author really knew them and portrayed them well. Even the less likable characters had positives and I cared about them. I haven't recommended it to anyone, but I still liked it.


2) The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan - I had already been waiting in line for this one at my library when I saw the list. I told y'all I have a weakness for the royal family! However, I don't think I would recommend this one. It just goes on and on. But because you know they get married, because there's a picture of the bride and groom on the front and it's written from the bride's point of view in past tense, there is more of a tendency to roll your eyes or groan rather than bite your nails over the many setbacks. There's no will they or won't they? We know they will, so get let's get on with it! I'm all for the story of how they come together in the first place and the awkwardness of being a commoner who needs to be groomed for royalty. I guess there were just too many "and then..." kind of scenarios- you know, curveballs. Just get on with it!! So, it was fun, but a bit too long and I don't think I'd recommend it. 


3) The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand - the story in this book was uniquely complicated. I cannot say that this is a story I could relate to, but I was interested in how it would all turn out. And the food descriptions at a beachfront Nantucket restaurant were divine! I had never read anything by Elin Hilderbrand before, but I liked this well enough to plan on coming back to her again.


4) Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty - I liked this one. I usually recommend books I like a lot to my younger sister, but this one had my older sister written all over it. It was suspenseful and, dare I say, murder mystery-esque? I don't read murder mysteries and I am not the least bit interested in them. But this one was about a bunch of school moms leading up to an event where we know someone dies. So you keep wondering who's going to die. And who would kill that someone? My older sister loves murder mysteries. And being a school mom, I think she would also relate to the moms in this book. It was one I think I will recommend to others, not even people who are necessarily interested in mysteries. I liked it so well that I have since added more of Liane Moriarty to my library list for later.


5) Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan - just, no. This one was also complicated in both the most bizarre and cliche ways. Let me just say there's a beekeeper, the perfect storm (literally, like the movie The Perfect Storm), a guy who made millions "on computers" and just throws money around like confetti, would be lovers running after each other in the rain (couldn't decide if we were channeling Sweet Home Alabama or The Notebook here), a secret island, that stupid subplot where the girl's girlfriend hates the guy's guy friend until suddenly they're sleeping together and really like each other (so predictable and yet makes no sense), a puffin that decides it's a pet, a Star Wars theme wedding, transatlantic running away from love flights, a harbor full of shipwrecked rubber ducks, people chained to a structure in protest up until the very last minute (what will happen?!), a penniless girl opening an instantly successful bakery (that incidentally does not sell cupcakes in spite of the cupcake on the cover of the book), a hostile, tyrannical woman who runs the town but is really just sad (insert exaggerated sad face emoji), and loads more nonsense. I made none of that up. That's how bad this book was. It was worse than some of the books I have read for free on my Kindle that I am embarrassed to tell people about. So I have lost a bit of faith in Modern Miss Darcy. But of the five she recommended, I would probably recommend three, so I haven't written her off completely.

No comments:

Blog Archive