Thursday, September 17, 2015

Recent Happenings


We have recently discovered Gilmore Girls via Netflix at my house. Amabel and I have watched a lot of it together, but I saw all of season 1 before I felt pretty okay about her watching it. So we watched seasons 2 and 3 together, and she went back and watched season 1 when I wasn't around. But over Labor Day weekend,  I was sick and she had a weekend without television so I got way ahead of her.

What's funny is that we have discovered that several of our other friends have also been watching Gilmore Girls. It's like it's in the air. It was not a show I was interested in when it originally aired. Its company of other shows on the WB at the time had me wrongly assuming that it was trashy. The first three seasons were relatively trash free, but the fourth season had Rory off to college and the stakes were raised. Still, compared to a lot of shows with college characters, it was relatively clean... until the season 4 finale. Yikes! I'll let you know if it turns around.

By the way, I finished my Summer Reading Challenge just in time. And thank goodness. I am not sure if making a reading list is a very helpful strategy. On the other hand, I can't help but make lists of all the books I want to read. Incidentally, the book I chose for one that everyone has read besides me was The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. I actually think it's an exaggeration to say everyone has read it (more so than that expression usually is) but it's one of those I just kept seeing around. I enjoyed it.

Since school has started, I haven't had time to do much reading or television watching. I'm homeschooling again after a four year break. It's still not my thing, but it's what needed to be done for the next little while. We've got ninth grade, sixth grade, and third grade this year. It's a lot. But George is helping get us going in the morning and stay organized. That has helped a ton. We're only three weeks in so there are still some growing pains, but we're trucking along.

A friend brought me a share from her CSA group last week and I have been enjoying trying new recipes with all of the fresh vegetables. One thing we often get a lot of during this time of year is zucchini and squash. I tried a new recipe this week that George and I really enjoyed. The kids didn't rave, but they also didn't complain, so I'd call that a win! The original recipe had the squash cooking much longer, but I think it's so much better when the squash maintains some texture- I am not a fan of mushy squash!

Corn with Squash

2 summer squash cut in quarters long ways and then sliced
1T olive oil
half an onion, thinly sliced
2-3 ears of corn, cut off the cob
- heat oil in skillet and sauté onions for 2-3 minutes or until tender
- add corn and squash and sauté about 3-5 minutes more, salt and pepper to taste, and serve

No comments:

Blog Archive