Monday, January 25, 2016

Sunday Breakfast at Night

For a couple of years now, I've been making breakfast for supper on Sunday nights. A lot of breakfast foods are quick to throw together so even if it's just scrambled eggs and toast, I can get supper on the table in time for everyone to get to bed and be ready for the week ahead. And because I am terrible about going to the store almost every day for some key ingredient to a recipe, breakfast is a good trip saver because I almost always have basic baking ingredients for pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc. in the fridge. I also just like narrowing down the possibilities. For me, half the trouble of cooking dinner every night is coming up with the idea in the first place. If I know it's going to be breakfast, I don't waste a lot of time trying to think of what in the world to make. Sometimes I do want to be a little more creative though. I have tried a lot of different ideas lately, including some not so great baked eggs with kale. One dish that we have really enjoyed is a home skillet. (Ha! That always makes me think of the opening scene of Juno when Rainn Wilson calls Ellen Page home skillet.) I looked in my pantry one Sunday afternoon and pretty much all I saw was potatoes. I had had a big dinner party where we served lasagna the night before and had a smidge of leftover basil and mozzarella. So, rather than go to the store, I googled potatoes, eggs, basil, cheese and found this recipe! I made several batches because we were all pretty hungry, but the cook time is quick, and the recipe is super simple. I have made it multiple times since then using different kinds of cheese. It's just a great, filling, quick meal. I have streamlined it only slightly to save myself typing it exactly as it appears originally.

Breakfast Skillet
2-3 red boiling potatoes, diced into 1/2" pieces
2tsp. olive oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3c. grated cheese

- place oil and potatoes and 1/4c. water in a skillet over high heat. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir mixture a couple of times during cook time. After 5 minutes, potatoes will be tender and have begun to brown and water should be evaporated. Uncover and loosen potatoes from bottom of skillet, reduce heat to medium-high and cover again, cooking another 2-5 minutes.
-pour eggs over potatoes and add salt and pepper to taste. cook until eggs are set, just a couple of minutes, then turn off the heat and add cheese and (optionally) any fresh herbs you might like. The residual heat will melt the cheese.

No comments:

Blog Archive