Friday, February 26, 2016

More Fun With Sausage and Kale

This is going to sound like I am just crazy for kale. Which, okay, I kind of am. But this is another soup with kale and also Italian sausage. I actually have been meaning to post it for about a year but it's one that I make a little different every time and have been waiting to get everything clear in my brain to be able to make it sharable. I figured I might as well go ahead and get it up so that the two kale and sausage soups are right in a row. This one was born from me having various ingredients I really wanted to use together and wasn't sure how- namely, quinoa, kale, and black beans. I found a vegetarian soup recipe online and changed it up for our carnivorous family. I made it for the first time for my family last February and was able to build the leftovers back up for my coworkers for our Valentine's Day potluck (kind of a tradition at the flower shop where we work long hours at Valentine's Day and don't have time to have a proper lunch break). Everyone wanted the recipe and I didn't quite know how to tell them what to do apart from listing the ingredients (amounts of each vary and it seems to need more liquid upon reheating). I've tried it several times again and honestly make it a little different every time, but here it is, the basic gist.

Kale, Quinoa, and Black Bean Soup with Italian Sausage and Chicken

-1/2 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 T Italian seasoning
- 2 bunches of kale, rinsed and chopped (or one larger bunch- depends on the store)
- 8-12c. chicken broth
- 1-2 15 oz. can(s) petite diced tomatoes
- 1c. quinoa
- 1-2 15oz. can(s) black beans, drained and rinsed
- chopped roasted chicken, optional- I would normally use the meat from the legs of a 3.5 pound fryer because our family prefers the white meat and I need good ways to use the dark meat, but a chicken breast would also work


1) Brown Italian sausage in a Dutch oven.
2) Add sauté onion, carrots, and celery for several minutes
3) Add garlic and kale and sauté several more minutes
4) Add 8c. chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
5) Reduce heat to a simmer, stir in quinoa and let simmer for about 20 minutes
6) After quinoa is ready, decide if you need more chicken broth and the second can of tomatoes, especially if you are adding a lot of chicken (my vote is yes, just to stretch it), and then add in beans and roasted chicken and heat about 5-10 more minutes.

No comments:

Blog Archive