Monday, February 22, 2016

Soup for a Group

We had an unusually busy weekend this weekend. I felt so blessed by all the fellowship! And quite a bit of it was other people reaching out to me- so it wasn't the kind of weekend where I had to do a lot of work to keep the good times going. We were treated to dinner and games with some friends on Saturday night, lunch with friends after church today, and our amazing church planting group this evening where wine and good conversation is almost always part of the agenda! 

I did have to do a little bit of work though- I wasn't off the hook completely. We had some friends over for lunch on Saturday that we haven't gotten to hang out with in way too long. So naturally, I had to do some basic cleaning and meal planning/prepping. I was so looking forward to seeing them though that I felt really unable to settle down and pick a menu. Someone finally said something to me about soup and I was so grateful for an idea I could latch onto and run with. After all, my friend Sarah has an amazing creamy potato soup with kale that I have been wanting to make for a while. I thought I had made it about a year or so ago after I first had it at her house, but once I started making it, I realized I probably never did after all. There are steps I surely would have remembered- like, you have to pre-boil the potatoes. I think after I have made this a few times, surely I will think of a way to streamline it so that I don't have to use two separate pots. And other potato soup recipe I have ever made cooks the potatoes in with everything else. But, it's way less complicated than my tomato soup recipe, and it is well worth the trouble of using a second pot. We are usually pretty considerate of each other in our house, but there was definite effort being made on all of our parts as we decided who got the very small portion that we actually had leftover. In the end, we let Amabel have it. I'll just have to make another whole pot very soon. We served it with grilled white cheddar cheese sandwiches on country Italian bread. We had 6 adults and 8 children and almost nothing was left, so I guess it would be accurate to say the recipe serves about 12.


Sausage, Potato, and Kale Soup

1.5 pounds Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
10-15 small to medium potatoes, 1/4" sliced 
2 bunches kale, rinsed, stems removed, torn into bite-sized pieces (some markets sell larger bunches than others- you may just need one)
2- 4c. low sodium chicken broth
4c. milk
2c. heavy cream
1 tsp. dried oregano


- Boil potato slices in salted water for 10-12 minutes or until tender (slices from larger potatoes may need to be halved or quartered before boiling to be bite sized) and drain
- Meanwhile, in a dutch oven, brown sausage and sauté onion until softened, then drain off fat
- Add broth, cream, milk, and oregano to dutch oven and bring to a low simmer- allow to simmer for 30 minutes (so then, why can't the potatoes just be cooking in this liquid is my question? you would just need more chicken broth- I may try this)
- Add potatoes and kale to soup and cook just long enough for kale to soften- about 10 minutes (a commenter on Sarah's blog where this was posted suggested adding the milk and cream at this point too, which I tend to think is a better idea, and yet also just then wonder what the whole 30 minute step is even for-- this is a recipe I probably should've made again one more time before posting, but it's just so dang good that I wanted to go ahead and share!)




1 comment:

Fittsy said...

I'm so happy you're posting, and even better the content is recipes!

We are going to have this soon - maybe even tomorrow night, since I have some pantry potatoes that need using!

xoxo -

R

Blog Archive