Tuesday, December 13, 2016

5 for Christmas

I didn't like any of the five Christmas books I read recently, but I just kinda wanted a record of reading them.

The first three were Elin Hilderbrand's Christmas trilogy- Winter Street, Winter Stroll, and Winter Storms. Honestly, I just find her characters to be unlikable. I think she is just on a seriously different page than me- like, we just look at life differently. So she just writes characters that I don't get at all.

I also read a Debbie Macomber book. I watch so many Hallmark Christmas movies that it just seems like I would enjoy a book by one of the people who writes the books that inspire them. I didn't. It was just too over the top cheesy. The dialogue was so bad. The tension was so manufactured. The characters were so over the top. Ugh, enough said. The Twelve Days of Christmas was really bad.

The last book I read was one I had picked up for a dime at a library sale a while ago, On Christmas Eve by Ann Martin. I can't decide how I feel about it. I threw it across the room when I finished so I definitely didn't like it. However, that was not the first time I have done that with a book by any stretch. But it was heavy on the Santa Claus and I am just not a real fan of the Santa story. At what point did Santa become a deity? He sees you when you're sleeping? He knows when you're awake? He has the power to grant wishes? Are we confusing him with God?! However, many people are a fan, so would they like it? Was it okay as far as Santa stories go? Maybe? The proverbial "Christmas magic" was related to the First Christmas. But it was more about animals talking. But it sort of reconciled some Christmas impossibilities to help further kids' belief and I did kind of like that. I just wish I could enjoy Santa or knew someone I could pass the book along to.

Anyway, I give up. As they say on The Tonight Show, do not read, do not read, do not read these books, these books. Maybe I'll find some good Christmas reads in time for next year.

No comments:

Blog Archive