Thursday, February 02, 2017

January Retrospective

I have a New Year's book list in my drafts, but I just kept editing it- adding to it, checking titles off the list- all last month. And I never finished last year's list anyway. So maybe I'll try just keeping my to be read long list to myself and only making posts about the books I have finished reading. I only finished four titles this month. I spent the first week or so continuing my slog through the 800 page Robert E. Lee book I had on last year's list. That'll slow you down for sure. And I still didn't finish it so I know it'll slow me down again.

1) The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill by Julie Klassen


As always, I loved Miss Julie's newest title. (I feel like I'm taking a liberty here to call her Miss Julie, but simply referring to her as "Klassen" seems so formal and cold. I feel like I have such genuine affection for her that she deserves a warmer designation.) There was a bit less romance in this one, which I thought was well done and less predictable. The absence of an explicitly romantic storyline was also a relief to me this time as I was able to recommend this title to my sister who loves Miss Julie as well but who has recently found herself in a hard situation not unlike the main character's and has been in no mood for romance. 

Jane Bell has had her world rocked and now she must decide how to move forward. A difficult road is placed before her, and she must decide whether to accept the difficulty with the potential to reward herself and others in her life or to leave and start over. As she chooses her path, Jane begins to grow and change, to form new relationships and see other relationships grow and change. I found myself going through every feeling with her and was excited to see her story unfold. 

The most exciting part is that it's the beginning of a series! 👍

2) The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash 


I chose this book from Amazon's list of the best young adult books of 2016. I am trying to read more YA because I have a friend whose daughter has a YA book coming out this summer! This book was adorable. There was reference to several John Hughes films in the book and Hughes' influence on Tash was certainly not lost. However, the characters here were entirely her own, but as with any good Hughes film, we find them quirky and endearing and cheer for them all the way. Set at New York City Comic Con, of all places, Tash's novel tells the story of Graham and his attempt to share his changing feelings with his best friend Roxy. Super cute, super clean. 👍

3) The Opposite of Love by Julie Buxbaum 


I first encountered Buxbaum in December when I read her young adult novel called Tell Me Three Things which was another of Amazon's top young adult selections for 2016. I really enjoyed Tell Me Three Things, but I didn't want my teenaged daughter to read it because of the discussions about sex. I know plenty of people would think I am a prude because of that, but so be it. This book was not a young adult book and so there were was a lot more of that kind of thing in it. And really, even just for 39 year old me, just yuck. That's a hugely intimate thing and I don't understand why it's splashed out there in books and on television like it's not. If we could just skip the explicit references in this book- only the reader really can't because there's no way to know when they'll suddenly appear- I could recommend it to people. And I think I could to some people anyway. But the yuck aside, I liked Emily. I liked her journey. I couldn't much relate to her, an attorney who lives in New York City who breaks up with the love of her life because she is afraid he is going to propose (is there anything about this that is remotely familiar to my life? No, in no way whatsoever.) but I felt like Buxbaum helped me understand her and to like her. And I think that's kind of an amazing feat for a writer. I know writers do that all the time so it's easy to take for granted, but plenty of writers also don't do that all the time. Anyway, recommended with reservations (because of the cringe factor) 👍

4) Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos 


Oh wow. I loved this book. A couple of years ago, Modern Mrs. Darcy recommended another of de los Santos' books, a title called Love Walked In, which I read and enjoyed, but somehow I missed that there was a sequel. (Incidentally, did I just do her last name right? Is the whole part her last name? It feels weird that it isn't capitalized.) This is the sequel and it is even better than the first one (and can stand alone without the one before it). It was so good. Maybe it just met me where I am- there is a lot about grief and trying to reconcile the sense that it is lesser grief than other things happening to other people at the same time, but grief nonetheless. And it has such beautiful, powerful, wonderful women friendships! Some of the friendships were unlikely, but also made sense because of other shared things that couldn't be helped. It was such a great catalyst for thinking about friendships and how they happen- such a rare thing these days, friends who care and walk through everything alongside one another.  I think I will read this one again sometime. It was so rich and lovely. It also had a host of well drawn characters and several engaging storylines, both of which were interwoven with the other characters and storylines in a seamless way. This is one I'll be recommending often. 👍

No comments:

Blog Archive